New legislation about wild pigs

I saw that. Leave it to NY to make taking an invasive species illegal. How about making killing the Emerald ash borer illegal next? /sarcasm

According to the DEC -> http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

Q. Can I hunt Eurasian boars in NY?
A. Prior to passage of the new law, any person with a small game hunting license could take Eurasian boars at any time and in any number. However, under authority of the new law, this may soon change due to pending Department regulations that would make it illegal to hunt free-ranging Eurasian boars in the wild in NY. Keep checking this DEC web page for updates.

Sounds to me like they are probably going to make a season on them and force people to buy tags.

• Like 1

I saw that. Leave it to NY to make taking an invasive species illegal. How about making killing the Emerald ash borer illegal next? /sarcasm

According to the DEC -> http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

Sounds to me like they are probably going to make a season on them and force people to buy tags.

Just like the wonderful liberal sh**hole called California why should NY be any different ?

If you read the bill that was signed in, there is nothing suggesting the outlawing of killing the hogs in the wild. At least nothing I see. Can someone explain what part of it suggests this? Heres a link to it, which includes a summary and the actual wording...

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/s5733-2013

• Like 1

What I read is:

The state does not want these game farms (or avg. Joe) to import, breed, or own the Eurasian Pig. The game farms have had a track record of these pigs escaping. They would have a 2yr. grace period if law passes, to get rid, hunt or relocate them outside of NY.

So, if you see a pig while in your stand....shoot it. You will not be able to go to a preserve and "pay-to-hunt" them.

The state is trying to prevent them from establishing to the point that they become a real devastation. They list the following:

* They consume the nests and eggs of ground nesting birds and reptiles.
* They can kill and eat fawns and young domestic livestock,
* They eat almost any agricultural crop as well as tree seeds and seedlings.
* Their rooting and wallowing habits destroy crops and native vegetation, cause erosion, and negatively affect water quality. Every Eurasian boar in the wild is estimated to destroy 11 acres of wetlands in its lifetime.
* They have razor sharp tusks and can be aggressive toward humans and their pets.
* They carry and can transmit several serious diseases including swine brucellosis, E. coli, trichinosis, and pseudorabies to livestock and /or humans.

If you read the bill that was signed in, there is nothing suggesting the outlawing of killing the hogs in the wild. At least nothing I see. Can someone explain what part of it suggests this? Heres a link to it, which includes a summary and the actual wording...

The law itself doesn't but gives the right to the DEC to make that decision and it appears that they may already be working on that:

A. Prior to passage of the new law, any person with a small game hunting license could take Eurasian boars at any time and in any number. However, under authority of the new law, this may soon change due to pending Department regulations that would make it illegal to hunt free-ranging Eurasian boars in the wild in NY. Keep checking this DEC web page for updates.

Found in the link WNYBuckHunter provided:

This bill would also authorize DEC to promulgate regulations necessary to implement these prohibitions and ensure that Eurasian boars do not become established in the wild.

Also, would the possession part of the law not prohibit hunters from taking them in the wild as well?

I already read that on the DEC site. The DEC seems to be blaming the law for the possibility of no more shooting them in the wild. The actual law that I posted contradicts that. Im asking for someone to show me where in the actual law where it says what the DEC is saying.

Unless of course, as has been said, the DEC is thinking of outlawing it. Now, I know what their stance has been on feral pigs in the past, so I dont see that as a likely change they would make.

Also, would the possession part of the law not prohibit hunters from taking them in the wild as well?

No, the possession part refers to live hogs, not dead ones. Its in the wording of the law that I posted.

"3. BEGINNING SEPTEMBER FIRST, TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN, NO PERSON, FIRM, PARTNERSHIP, CORPORATION OR GOVERNMENT ENTITY SHALL KNOWINGLY POSSESS, SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, DISTRIBUTE, TRANSPORT, OR OTHERWISE MARKET OR TRADE LIVE EURASIAN BOARS."

i was talking about a whole separate tag and fee on top of that. this is NY, they have their hands in all our pockets every turn we make.

they change their mind like i change underwear... now its free under a small game licence, tomorrow its own tag and new fees lol

No, the possession part refers to live hogs, not dead ones. Its in the wording of the law that I posted.

"3. BEGINNING SEPTEMBER FIRST, TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN, NO PERSON, FIRM, PARTNERSHIP, CORPORATION OR GOVERNMENT ENTITY SHALL KNOWINGLY POSSESS, SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, DISTRIBUTE, TRANSPORT, OR OTHERWISE MARKET OR TRADE LIVE EURASIAN BOARS."

Ok, thanks. I must have read over that while skimming through the bill

i was talking about a whole separate tag and fee on top of that. this is NY, they have their hands in all our pockets every turn we make.

they change their mind like i change underwear... now its free under a small game licence, tomorrow its own tag and new fees lol

I was thinking along this line as well. The state sees this as a money making proposition more than an invasive species issue.

I'm keeping (or trying to anyway) an eye on this issue as I would like to make hog hunting part of my already small hunting schedule, lol.

In My Humble opinion the state wants to be rid if them,the preserves have sixty days after the law goes into effect to stop importing them,right now it's shoot on site and any time day or nite

I don't think there will be a season on them,they are a major pain for a lot of people,