post surgery...hunting

Cory

I had a plate and seven screws put in my knee do to a bike accident and a broken tibial plateau. Anyone ever been handicapped and hunt? I already had to cancel my Colorado elk hunt and am dieing to get in the woods. I am definitely going to my cabin this weekend to give it a try. Guess it's time to crutch up or shut up.....lol

sorry to hear that. For what it's worth my Uncle lost his leg above the knee when he was young. He has hobbled into the woods (actually down a ravine) with cane and prosthetic for years and actually climed into a stand. Shot some great deer. Just needs help getting it out. Don't let it deter you.

Edited by Belo

I tore my labrum in the shoulder i draw back on my bow with pretty bad.....had to have 5 anchors put in and bone chips fished out.....Hurt like hell pull back but put the surgery off until after the season....couldn't bare to miss a fall in the woods.....Give it a go and see how you fare.....I would bring a buddy along though incase you get one and need help dragging it out. Donate some meat to the cause.

After they screwed my ankle together and put a plate in my leg to hold it together..... I was in a hospital bed in my living room...strict orders..you put weight on it you loose your foot..I was still in the cast and Mr. B helped me wrap it up in a blk plastic bag...helped me to the truck...with a pillow and drove me to a brush ground blind...I crawled in and he put the pillow under my leg handed me the gun and phone  said good luck and left...called in a fox and trespasser...no turkey but had a good time...watching the world wake up calling and being out of bed....When pain meds wore off...I called him for a lift home...

I spent 2 - 1/2 months in the hospitle,took my foot off of my leg.Thanks to the doctor that spent plenty of time fixing combat injuries put my ankle back together with 5 pins and 7 screws,I somehow got staff infection,every 3 days the would take the cast off do a blood and visiual test then a new cast went on.  had the staff inf. dormant until I would aggrivate the angle by hitting it into something ,Then I would go on meds.Now that Dr. said (and keep this in mind) that when you brake a bone you will eventualy get arthritis in that area.He  was right 15 years later I could not put a sheet over my foot at night the pain was just too much( and I am not a pill junkey and stand a good amount of pain) Eventualy the immoblized the ankle and a month later I was up in the Catskills Hunting, thanks to a great doctor.BR.After the 2 -1/2 month stay in the hospitle, My friends took me Rifel hunting ( I was still in a half cast ) Set me up in a beach chair wrapped me in a blanket ( no cell phones then )  My Rem. 742 with an extra clip. Had Does walking around me all day,No bucks.And the one year we did not get a party permit,A memory I will never forget.That was 20 years ago when I had the ankle fusion ( which people tell me I do not have it) and still can walk up and down the hills.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aw man sorry to hear that I know I'm commenting late but I just noticed this I feel your pain buddy back In 2008 I was 18 I was walking to class and got hit by a chevy blazer walking across the street I broke my femur had a rod put in the middle of the bone from knee to hip it sucked I had to wait a whole year to start hunting well good luck to you stay safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about your injury….When I was in my mid 20's I broke my foot in early October. By the end of the month I was off crutches but had a plaster walking cast from the knee down. I got a pair of those giant rubber construction boots, that fit over your regular boots, and it was game on. I hunted almost every day. I got two deer and a ton of small game that year.

Then I had reconstructive knee surgery in May of 2012. By October I was walking, with out crutches but had to wear a big, goofy frankenstien looking knee brace. Again, I hunted almost every day and bagged some nice bucks.

If you can get out, without doing more damage to yourself, go for it.