No scrapes

Terry

I found two scrapes on October 15th, since then they have not been refreshed. Other than that, I have not found a scrape on the 200+ acres we hunt. Not even one. Myself and two other guys have all combed the woods and all report the same thing. On top of that there are only a few rubs.

This is in 8F. Anyone else have this problem?

This is in 8F. Anyone else have this problem?

I hunt in 8F and it has been sucking rocks! Just seems to be a different world than what everyone else has been seeing and reporting. Scrapes on my property just started opening up in the past week. Only 3 active scrapes that I know of. Should have seen a lot more in their usual spots, but nothing yet. Sightings and cam action this year has been pathetic! Just started getting activity at my mock scrapes. Haven't seen any bucks on the move, no daytime activity, no chasing, or no grunting (at least that I've seen or heard of in the area).

Hope things pick up for you.

I have so many scrapes on the 2 properties in 8F I hunt that I have to be careful not to step in them. I have to ask though... why would you be traipsing all through the woods during the season? I'd advise you to spend more time in preseason and maybe invest in some cams. Walking all the runs and invading the bedding areas might not spook the little guys and the doe, but it sure as heck will turn an old burly buck nocturnal real quick.

I took some time yesterday afternoon in the heavy windsto do a quick walk through through 2 ridges ive been hunting. Not a single scrape anywhere, and these are places that routinely have a half dozen or so along one trail. I have to think they will be in there soon, so im juts going to keep at it, and bank on the fact all the deer didnt move out on me.

my scrapes have been dead for over a week now. they were getting freshened up often, now nothing...

Interesting. Just goes to show how not every area in NY is the same or on the same schedule! You've already seen a lot of chasing and activity too from what I remember? The few scrapes that I've been seeing aren't quite at peak activity yet (from hunting and camming this spot for the past 14 years), but they are getting a lot of night time activity now! I haven't seen (cams or hunting) ANY chasing, bucks with does, hearing grunting, daytime activity, or stupid-eyes-glazed-over-big-rutting-necked bucks yet either! Should be very soon though....

a lot of chasing and grunting the past week and half, multiple bucks working into my area now. scrapes were getting freshened up very often upon the first scrape popping up mid Oct. the past week has been slow for scrapes getting hit. i pee in them almost every hunt. when i was doing so they would be wide open when i get back. i sprayed some doe urine in one on the way out the other day so we shall see if it was hit.

Don't forget to take into account for the leaves dropping and covering them. I saw peak scrape activity 2 weeks ago and still going fairly strong. Just like what cabin fever touched on, this is varied from each of my spots. Some places just a couple miles away are seeing less than normal scrape/rub activity.

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

I wasn't seeing a whole lot of scrapes, but while looking in the thicker stuff, for a buck I hit, I noticed quite a few. They might be there, but they are in areas you don't go into.

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

Scrapes started showing up about 2 weeks ago but lately nothing has been hit . I think the bucks are finding the estrus does and not bothering with the scrapes . No activity during the day for the last 2 weeks,   alot of pictures of nice bucks on my cameras at night . Just drove down to charleston, SC and back yesterday . I think all the deer are dead along the side of RT  I-79. I saw a lot of nice bucks , dead along the side of the road in   West Virginia , . The country is beautiful , oaks and hard woods , just  nice looking deer country.