How long can it hang?

CuseHunter

I don't hang except to skin and quarter, then into the fridge and then cut, vacuum sealed and into the deep freeze. 

If I were to hang, I agree with the poster who suggested hanging in a controlled env.  I would definitely not suggest hanging at 40 or higher due to bacteria formation at those temps. 

If your going to mount the buck hang it by its hind legs. The blood fills the neck and keeps the hair healthy. Makes for a much better mount.

Other than that as long as the nighttime temps are chilly, you should be fine for a day or two.

I've had a deer hang for 3 days before bringing it to the butcher and lost no meat. Make sure you put a stick inside to keep the rib cage open so the air can get to it. Temps were around 40-45 during he day and 30-40 nighttime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched a show on the hunting channel that was venison, specific and it had a chef/butcher who got in detail with hanging and processing and cooking and got In depth, on how to get the most out of the meat, it said that ideally 32-34 degree range the longer you can let it hang the better the meat will age but no longer then 2 weeks,in those conditions , preety,much you'd need a walk in fridge it freezer to accomplish this but any ways that's not the info your lookin for but I thought I'd throw it out there,

Well we got it all broken down and trimmed up. It was my buddy's deer he got in a ground blind we made on a small piece of state land here in cuse. During my break between my two classes today, I went over to his place and we both got it done in no time and in freezer bags. Thanks for the input everyone. Better safe than sorry!

If your going to mount the buck hang it by its hind legs. The blood fills the neck and keeps the hair healthy. Makes for a much better mount.

Other than that as long as the nighttime temps are chilly, you should be fine for a day or two.

I've had a deer hang for 3 days before bringing it to the butcher and lost no meat. Make sure you put a stick inside to keep the rib cage open so the air can get to it. Temps were around 40-45 during he day and 30-40 nighttime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it possible to keep something that's dead healthy? I was always under the impression that once something dies, all life functions cease.