Reloading cost vs store bought ammo

Doewhacker

So I was thinking that maybe instead of buying another shotgun or rifel perhaps I should get into reloading since I have the funds set aside. What I want to know is if it is cheaper than buying ammo, excluding start up cost for equipment. I would be starting off with 7mm and .06, no other calibers as of now.

I spend about $40-50 a box for the 7mm now and when I burn up a box of ammo I can't help but think about the money I just blew up.

What do you reloaders say?

You can save some by doing it, but the other part of it is in this great state components are not under the ammo background check.  The tough part is finding equipment and components.  A lot of other people have had the same idea. The most expensive part is working up the right load for a gun.  After you do, the worst is over.  I would recommend doing a lot of research on how it is done safely.  The thing I put the most money into was my scale.  I bought a Lyman DPS which is very accurate for powder measurement.  Got a good manual and do a lot of reading before you jump into it   

Reloading is minimally cheaper than factory rounds. The benefit it working up a load that is optimum for your rifle. 40-50/bx? Man, you gotta buy in bulk online. I bought 200 rounds of .30-06 for 93 cents a round delivered a couple months ago

Buying bulk is definitely the way to go, but reloading seems a lot of fun as well. I bought over $700 in ammo right before the SHTF and prices skyrocketed. Needless to say, I'm good on those 2 calibers for a while.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Buying in bulk would be a possibility but in the long term a small savings will add up. It will be for my whole family of shooters, wife and kids when they are old enough to go to the range. Plus I like to shoot and will add more calibers as time goes on.

True. That, and you can employ the little rascals to do the reloading, win-win!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Reloading is very beneficial and will save a ton of money in the long run. Brass may be used many times over and the cost of buying primers, bullets, and powder, even at today's ridiculous prices, is still a fraction of the cost of factory ammo. The technical advantage is really getting to know what a particular gun likes and developing your own pet loads with whatever type of bullet you prefer. As each chamber is different you can adjust the length of your round to perform best in your rifle, or if your shooting a cannon, you can develop reduced recoil practice loads for practice without punishment. I'd start by picking up "The ABC's of Reloading", it's a must. Then you can shop online and get a good (I'd go with RCBS) single stage reloading kit with the press and that should include everything. You may want to also get a reloading manual from one of the major manufacturers and eventually a quality caliber. I'm sure someone close reloads and they'll probably be happy to walk you through the first time. It's a great next step in shooting and hunting. Good Luck.

Edited by melissa4
  • Like 1

Get a good reloading book like Lyman's and read it before making the jump . I started reloading a few years ago . Started out with 223 and 7-30 waters . Then went to 25-06 , 270 , 44 mag and 357 .

I bought some reloading equipment cheap back when the "Swap Sheet" was around then added to it as it became necessary .

Once you have the tools , you add the components and git 'r done .

You can tweak your loads for the gun you plan to shoot with .

If you can get the components you need , you will find yourself shooting more

Once you start reloading , do it without any outside interference ( no TV , no Radio , no Phone ) so as not to be disturbed .

If you don't want to do all this , buy your ammo .

Thanks Culver, I think I am going to look around a prices of equipment today. I think it is a good investment for my family long term although I really do want a new semi auto shot gun, I can wait. Plus I can just take my wife's Maxis when she ain't looking..hehe

Is it safe to assume online prices of kits and componets will be cheaper?

Eddie is mostly right. I could find better pricing than Midway when I got mine but it would have meant splitting orders and the amount of savings just wasn''t worth it. I got everything I needed from them.

Really look into that Lee Turret press. You won't be disappointed, especially if you are loading multiple calibers. once a turret is set up with the dies it is plug and play in seconds to switch dies.

And as I have said before I use it in single stage mode for rifle and manually turn the turret but for pistols of plinking rounds out of a rifle using a short caliber like the  223 I use the auto index and I can put out about 150 rounds an hour once it is set up.

I just copied that orginal list you made me last year so I can get going tonight on ordering stuff. I agree ordering from one place will be easier than trying to find it in person or ordering from several different places.

I am excited to begin this endeavor and thank every one in this thread and last years for all of the info offered up, it is a HUGE help.

• Like 1