Rage 2 blade vs Grim Reaper 3 blade

Guns&ReligionCop

Oh I'm not backing down on that I still think it's unethical even if it's not illegal for exactly the scenario that was laid out: if anyone accidentally grabbed the arrow when in the midst of deer fever and shot a deer with the Fieldpoint there's a very low probability you will harvest that animal.

Anyone could make that mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone can make that mistake, so it's unethical?

Unethical means making a conscious decision to do something against one's moral compass. Grabbing the wrong arrow is a mistake - exactly that. Nothing more. Going afield with a FP in the quiver while hunting deer is not an unethical act or decision (assuming the law says its allowable in some degree).

• Like 1

NO and NO. and there are specific regulation stating those. If the law is silent it does not make it a law.

If it is bothering you so much just drop your DEC Region office an email. They will clear it up for you.

Already did, but that's why I like this site, all the helpful tips.

Anyone can make that mistake, so it's unethical?

Unethical means making a conscious decision to do something against one's moral compass. Grabbing the wrong arrow is a mistake - exactly that. Nothing more. Going afield with a FP in the quiver while hunting deer is not an unethical act or decision (assuming the law says its allowable in some degree).

That's one interpretation, another would be Including the field point in your quiver because you might get bored and want to shoot squirrels and then accidentally grab it and shoot a deer makes including it in the deer hunt unethical.

We haven't even mentioned the desperate slob with one bolt left when the big boy shows up, and it's tipped with a judo. Aren't these the people we write laws for.

Edited by Meat Manager

That's one interpretation, another would be Including the field point in your quiver because you might get bored and want to shoot squirrels and then accidentally grab it and shoot a deer makes including it in the deer hunt unethical.

We haven't even mentioned the desperate slob with one bolt left when the big boy shows up, and it's tipped with a judo. Aren't these the people we write laws for.

Sound logic. You must never put gas in your car; you might drive, your mind drifts for a second, and accidentally get nervous and hit someone. Seems legit.

Sound logic. You must never put gas in your car; you might drive, your mind drifts for a second, and accidentally get nervous and hit someone. Seems legit.

Hyperbole. Again there is precedent for this I'm not making it up...

You cant shoot squirrels with your rifle or slug gun during deer season you can't hunt migratory gamebirds and carry lead shot with you. Same principles apply.

Edited by Meat Manager

Again there is precedent for this I'm not making it up...

You cant shoot squirrels with your rifle or slug gun during deer season you can't hunt migratory gamebirds and carry lead shot with you. Same principles apply.

See that's the thing, there is no precedent. You are talking about guns. We're talking about archery, and there's no law on it here in NY that states you can't have a FP in your quiver or on your person when deer hunting. You can't kill one with a FP legally, but that's not the point - you can at any time carry one.

You can shoot squirrels with a .22 during deer season here. You can shoot squirrels with a slug gun (shotgun) during deer season here with the appropriate load. Otherwise, they'd shut down squirrel season.

It might be one in Pennsltucky, but not here.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

See that's the thing, there is no precedent. You are talking about guns. We're talking about archery, and there's no law on it here in NY.

It might be one in Pennsltucky, but not here.

Okay I disagree about the principles but you are probably right about the legality.

Can you atleast see that a state agency uses that logic in PA. Even if you disagree with it?

Edited by Meat Manager

No, I cannot. I see no logic in it.

Changing the projectile type using the same means to project changes everything. If I cam deer hunting with my bow in a treestand, load an FP and decide to shoot the squirrel, I am squirrel hunting at that very moment. If I then shoot the squirrel and load a BH and sit down to wait for a deer, I am then deer hunting again.

Hunting is opportunity based. Opportunity changes what's being hunted.

guys...i have a few boxes of RAGE that i have to sell otherwise RAGE will cancel my work status with them, any takes?? help a brother out

Can't you get all downstate style and sell them out of your car trunk? Market them as actual heads that work and that'll fool the NYC visitors looking for actual BH that cut and kill.

Hyperbole. Again there is precedent for this I'm not making it up...

Yet you can carry a 22 to shoot squirrels while deer hunting with a shotgun or rifle.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I talked to DEC in Cortland it is legal to carry in your quiver.

She emphasized it is definitely illegal to nock one or fire at a deer...which goes back to my ethics delima, so I just won't carry them, to each his own.

Sorry squirrels I tried...and the occasional deer.

Oh yeah +1 on the rage.

Edited by Meat Manager

Can't you get all downstate style and sell them out of your car trunk? Market them as actual heads that work and that'll fool the NYC visitors looking for actual BH that cut and kill.

yes that would be a good idea but i think there are enough gullible people on here where i can sell them without even leaving my house or popping my trunk. 

"guaranteed to kill em in less then 100 yards" will be my slogan

or

"Hit em right and watch em die insight"

Yet you can carry a 22 to shoot squirrels while deer hunting with a shotgun or rifle.

My point was that you can't use the same firearm on a deer and squirrel in the same season and you can't carry field and water loads while bird hunting.

But I am wrong about the legality...so shoot all the tree rats you can.

My point was that you can't use the same firearm on a deer and squirrel in the same season and you can't carry field and water loads while bird hunting.

But I am wrong about the legality...so shoot all the tree rats you can.

You can in my part of NY.

You can use a shotgun to kill squirrels and deer.

The same precedent (I'm using that term loosely) with the bow and FP applies...

It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

• A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.
  • An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.
  • A firearm using rimfire ammunition.
  • A shotgun of less than 20 gauge or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile.
  • A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less.
  • Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges.
  • Dogs.
  • Aircraft of any kind.
  • Bait.

That's the catch - when I unload the shotgun full of truballs and throw in a No 6 load I stop hunting deer and start hunting small game. Vice versa when the truballs go in. Now, the actual act of loading/aiming/shooting of deer with the field load is illegal, but again, the carrying of a field load in your pocket while deer hunting is not illegal here. The distinction for Buckshot is made, I believe, but not field loads.

Edited by phade

DOE:

just about all of mine are pass through, 2-3 ribs in 2-3 ribs out sometimes... sticks in the ground 10" or so.... ive had some that the blades bend and ive had some where the blades dont have a mark on them and after they are rinsed off with water will operate as they did before. i have shot 15 deer or so with rage and only 1 reported incident where a blade broke off. i can go a whole season with out having one blade pop open prematurely.

things that other guys report is funny to me because in the 7 years i have shot these heads i have not had these same bad experiences and i can chalk it up to 3 things. 

• the bow hunters setup is wrong for those style heads (to light of an arrow, not enough draw weight, ect)

• The hunter is not shot placing and thinks with big heads they can hit a deer anywhere and still make the recovery (wrong)

• hunters are very aggressive and not very easy with the equipment. if you easy with things such as these heads and are careful these heads just will not open as other complain they always do. (period)... if they open, common sense has to kick in and say well there may be just a slight nic in the o-ring, let me twist it to another spot, problem solved. lets face it, guys like to play with things, i bet some are opening and closing the heads just to se how they work then head out to the woods. OHHH i dont know why these heads keep popping open? they suck! meanwhile the hunter just wore a slight nic in the ring and turning it slightly will put the blades on a new spot of the ring, securing them in.

• Like 1

my dad does it all the time like MOST guys do... he blames everything else but himself, with most guys your equipment is the first to get blamed especially if there is a new tool in the arsenal then thats the first to get blamed.

my dad is always complaining about pass throughs just the other day hes telling me i dont know what happen to rage, they dont give me pass thoughs anymore. i said well why do you think that is? he said they just dont, there product changed... i said oh, let me see your bow, i look at it, first thing i noticed is his new arrows, light as air giving him NO ke and absorbing alot of his initial impact. second i thought he lowered his bow and when i asked he said yes, he was having a hard time so he bumped it down to almost 50lbs. i put him on a fixed head because there are limitation with any mechanical head out there that require a certain draw #

and to top it all he takes shots HE SHOULD NOT be taking. he lets an arrow fly anywhere and doesnt make the recovery, thus why i dont hunt with him...

my point, there are things guys do that they dont take into account that will effect things they use and do