Bummed out - Loggers on the hunting land now!!! I added a PIC of the land

nybuckboy

:'( I can't believe it but it's true. The loggers came by last Thursday and left the skidder there. Little did I know they marked trees last August. I don't walk the woods in August and I try to observe the deer from a distance so I had no idea they were in there. I typically hunt the perimeter as well so I can leave the woods as a sanctuary.

A liitle background - This is a 230 acre piece with about 1/3 of it woods and scrub woods. About 50 -60 acres is hardwoods with some hemlock. The rest is CRP fields and one hedgerow that connects another 10 acre scrub woods with a tiny swamp and tiny stream.  I have hunted this piece for 10 years now and know it well. I have stands set, some for 6 years.

I talked with the company this morning and they have been hired to go heavy, taking all the decent size cherry, as well as assorted hardwoods and some big hemlocks. It will be a disaster when it's done I feel.  They plan to start tommorrow (Tues). They will be in there for a about 3 weeks weather permitting. They have been hired to go real heavy on the trees for the money.

Here is the pisser... I have taken vacation days this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and planned to hunt those day as well as the weekend. Not sure but don't think they work weekends. Hopefully the weather is rainy and they won't be working this Thur/Fri.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I should hunt it when they are working? Anyone ever dealt with anything like this?

Bummer.

Well cutting to the chase - I think your screwed there for this year.

Once they are done your woods will look like a frackin war zone. The routs / stands / patterns your used to will be changed forever. But 2-4 years later new growth will be benificial.

It may be a bust this week with active cutting but it won't blow the deer out for good it will change the way they travel it. And depending on their job they may leave a lot of tops which is good cover and next couple of years the deer will love the new growth as a food source. If you have to hunt it this week try to hunt the area away from all the activity and see what happens. Deer will adjust around the distraction.

hard to find a positive out of this - but if they leave any tree tops that have still have leaves on them the deer will browse/eat those leaves once the loggers are gone

one of the places i hunt was loged 5 years ago, and some of the patterns changed forever some went back to previous patterns after a year

I don't know the layout but from what you described I think the best areas aren't the ones they will be logging. you talk about thickets and creekbottoms....think corridors and remote areas away from teh operation. maybe the operation can work for you. I don't know where your stand are but if you can get near that thicket ...with increased buck movement coming ...just maybe the loggers will push the deer your way. 230 acres is a big chunk. I have seen deer while driving tractors right by them...if there is agriculture near these deer the skidders are not much different than a tractor. I have had deer walk right up to me using a chainsow cutting wood.

WHile your hunting maybe shot in the actual part they are logging I bet if you think about it you can use this to your advantage. Think of it as the loggers are narrowing the area the deer can hid in for you...lol I bet you can make this work.

Good luck

OK picture this. Basically it is a long triangular patch of woods that runs West to East, narrower at the bottom and western end. A creek runs through it and it gets thicker as it narrows towards the West. The creek and ravine generally hug the south side. There is typically a western prevailing wind but sometimes comes south/southwest. The piece is about 2000 ft from top to bottom and about 500 ft across the widest point.

The loggers go in about half-way up the patch and most of the logging will be above the half-way point. I have 3 stands at the top where it is wider. The runs along the south side in the top half of the tri piece. I have 5 stands that run along the woods edge on the south side with 2 just inside the woods about 50 yards but below the ravine. My stands are on the south side b/c I can not gain access from the north side as it's posted. I have a stand near the bottom of the tri piece where they do come out. There are also 2 stands at the north side of 2 scrub wooded pieces.

I thought that if i knew it would be nice days and the loggers would be in there, I would get in before light and wait for the loggers to push the deer thru the edges or to the adjoining pieces. If it is rainy and they won't be logging, I thought I'd hunt the normal stands along the south edges or just inside the woods.

Your thoughts?

I would heafor the thickest area the most remote from the logging. I can't get a clear picture of the stand compared to wind direction but take into accunt most bucks will be downwind of the trails to try and wind a doe. I love hunting thick creek bottom areas and they have done well for me in the past.

You may be able to hunt the area they are logging but I would follow you first impulse and use them to coax the deer to you ....so get in early and I would see how it goes with them in there. Don't count it a wash out. Some of my best deer were taken when I "screwed" things up...lol every once in a while we do get lucky...think...thick...thick...thick

I hope this pic of the land comes thru. The white spots are my stand sights, the black is the land border and the dotted ine was the old log road whic is where they will enter the woods this time as well. It is set up with the top of the pic is North.

post-1046-131455365993_thumb.jpg

I also thought the stand to the west (left) at the bottom of the funnel. This is a natural route and escape route when hunters walk down the funnel and it may also work the same for the loggers when they go in first thing in the morning. They also would most likely be moving into the wind as it generally a west prevailing wind here. Thanks for your insight.

If it were me I would try the stands on the lower right...at the property line and see how it goes. ..

I agree, perhaps there's enough distance between those spots and the upcomming racket. Maybe if you can figgure out when they roll in and start up, you might be able to intercept some deer they push. Either that or somehow deal with the noise for hours, looks like the area might hold some Turkeys too. I remember asking some loggers if they might be finished up before the season was over. 3 months later they were still there.

That would be a good spot too...you would have the wind behind you and blowing to the deer coming towards you though. I really couldn't tell what the cover is like.. Chances are a mature buck won't trot across open country if he is pushed out of the big woods, but if it is a secluded edge with cover he may very well take that route into the wind....then again ...they are whitetails...and often do what we don't expect...lol. I expect some pics of the deer... :(

That would be a good spot too...you would have the wind behind you and blowing to the deer coming towards you though. I really couldn't tell what the cover is like.. Chances are a mature buck won't trot across open country if he is pushed out of the big woods, but if it is a secluded edge with cover he may very well take that route into the wind....then again ...they are whitetails...and often do what we don't expect...lol. I expect some pics of the deer... ;)

It's actually a drop off right behind the that spot on the bottom of the funnel and they come out about 75 yards east and about 5o yard west of that stand site.

That would be a good spot too...you would have the wind behind you and blowing to the deer coming towards you though. I really couldn't tell what the cover is like.. Chances are a mature buck won't trot across open country if he is pushed out of the big woods, but if it is a secluded edge with cover he may very well take that route into the wind....then again ...they are whitetails...and often do what we don't expect...lol. I expect some pics of the deer... ;)

+1, I think you will be surprised with what you will see.