So sick of my family hunting practices

jesse.james

I never said I condone poaching I just wouldn't call the DEC on my own family. If someone is doing something wrong in the family try and talk with them. I that doesn't work it's time to sever ties with that person. I'm just not going to be the d bag that get my father in trouble. It just isn't right when my father would do anything for me. Maybe you didn't have a problem calling on your brother because your not as close or don't get along.

I am starting to wonder what you are reading. Did you read i called dec due to poachers who turned out to be my brother. Did you read he had 14 untagged deer from my land n his garage. All ypu get is i do not get along with my brother. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

For all this talk about people that wouldn't turn them in because they are family, shame on your "family" for putting you in this position to begin with. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

I agree 100% with this.

After thinking about this for awhile, I don't know that I would even turn in a neighbor. If I'm not turning in a neighbor, I'm definitely not turning in family. If I saw some guy on the road loading a doe in a buck only zone, I'd call DEC for sure. If I saw someone trespassing on a neighbors property, I call then too.

It is strange and a bit of a double standard I guess. I guess if alerting the law didn't effect me personally, I'd do it. Otherwise, I turn the other cheek and don't associate myself with their unethical activities while secretly hoping they get busted some day.

Maybe Jessie feels the same and that's why he posted. He doesn't want to be the one to rat them out. Maybe...

I wouldn't call DEC but I would talk to them about everything.  If they blew things off like who cares what you think.  Then tell DEC there's some shady stuff going on in your area.  They'll have more of a presence around without you turning them in.  Then if they do as they do, they'll eventually get caught by their own doing and not because you turned them in.  I don't agree with some stuff that's been posted, however i'm not going down that road.  We as hunters should do our best to take game with an ethical shot and equally as ethical follow up shots as need be.  Half heartedly throwing lead down range at a deer until it goes down is ridiculous.  also feeling you need to take all the deer you want without tagging them.  I don't care if you have a family to feed.  If you do things right, work with land owners, or apply for DMPs in rural areas you'll get more tags than you know what to do with.  I payed for my tags so you taking game without tagging them is like taking food off my table or money out of my pocket.

Wow. Thankfully my family has always been fairly law abiding and ethical (in general, none of them hunt) so I've never been in such a situation. That's said, I would never turn on my family but if they got caught, all they would get from me is a big "I told you so". I would also constantly harass them. Like my older bro who still smokes like a chimney. I constantly harass him about his smoking. Sometimes he gets irritated and gives me the "F-U" but I will continue to harass him till he changes.

Wow. Thankfully my family has always been fairly law abiding and ethical (in general, none of them hunt) so I've never been in such a situation. That's said, I would never turn on my family but if they got caught, all they would get from me is a big "I told you so". I would also constantly harass them. Like my older bro who still smokes like a chimney. I constantly harass him about his smoking. Sometimes he gets irritated and gives me the "F-U" but I will continue to harass him till he changes.

Every time family gets in trouble with the law, I'm always the one to have to bail them out, so it's best to keep family in check before it gets to that point.