east end of long island

Rob Answer

this pisses me off, now correct me if im wrong but don't sharp shooters just use bait to bring in the deer then shoot away?

don't see how that's even fair. I cant use bait to up my chances at getting deer but the state is ok with paying some guys to kill a bunch of deer.

POINTLESS to be a no bait state if you are gonna do this

Edited by Vince1

i know for a fact, sharpshooters are in heckscher state park and connetquot. i didnt know there were other parts of long island killing deer. thats BS. they should just allow bow hunting a month earlier. also, just to let u know, a couple of DEC officers are on nuisance permits, slaughtering deer by the hundreds on those farms that we wish we can hunt on (thats what i heard).

The town of Sagaponack just announced that they've hired sharpshooters. I think that East Hampton Village is also planning to do that. Not sure if that's definite. There's a proposal from the Long Island Farm Bureau to use this method in other areas on the island. Not sure of the status of that proposal.

They are not all filthy rich, Suffolk still has a lot of farms. It's the biggest agricultural county in the state. Very limited hunting access out there. The state also culled the herd in Sunken Meadow state park this summer, lots of shooting at night by DEC. Most of if not all the meat goes to the venison donation program. 

They are not all filthy rich, Suffolk still has a lot of farms. It's the biggest agricultural county in the state. Very limited hunting access out there. The state also culled the herd in Sunken Meadow state park this summer, lots of shooting at night by DEC. Most of if not all the meat goes to the venison donation program.

Thanks for that explanation. If these farmers are not willing to allow hunters access to clean up their nuisance mess, they shouldn't be asking the state to foot the bill to hire shooters. Why would the DEC allow this and not encourage permission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all they enjoy doing it .where is the sport when you shut somthing in the dark with night vision and a high powered rifle.also on overtime that u and i pay for.open up the farms to serious bow hunters and we will do it for free.and the state parks to.

Edited by Rob Answer

If the towns would implement a landowner/qualified hunter program. Landowners sign up. Hunters take a proficiency test, shoot five does before a buck, and pay a fee (goes to paying for mail outs to landowners and maybe venison donation program). Deer control without costing taxpayers a dime. Instead TAXPAYERS are paying for usda sharpshooters to kill deer that many of us would gladly shoot with a bow. Government can screw up just about anything.

Edited by LIWaterman
  • Like 1

Waterman's idea sounds reasonable.  I wonder if a proposal like this was ever made.  My guess is no.  Maybe because there's no actual organization that represents hunters.  Maybe that's something that a forum like this could coordinate.  I would think that towns would at least consider the idea as opposed to spending taxpayer dollars.  I think, though that they could make a fair case that having sharpshooters 'hunting' over bait at night would eradicate the problem a whole lot more quickly than bowhunters could. 

yea these snipers can come in at night with night vision and take out a whole heard in no time with rifles. I think people feel safer when they hear that trained professionals will be doing it instead of hunters who people feel are "less safe".  Maybe if people who hunted these areas took more does instead of waiting for a big buck to come by it would help out with population control a little more.  i'm guilty of it too not taking enough does and only trying to take mature bucks.  I hear they are planning on taking about 4000 deer out this winter. No way to tell a buck from a doe at that time when they are just worried about thinning the heard so i'm sure a lot of shed bucks will be taken in the process. It really makes me sick when i think about it.

John

Maybe if Suffolk was divided into a few WMU's, and certain units required killing a few does before a buck?

Suffolk is a bit of a long stretch to be considered one WMU, IMO. Most folks that hunt the island that I have encountered would say the same thing about taking does, and that is they won't be taking as many this year due to elimination of either sex bonus tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My folks have a place on the North Fork. I counted 24 deer in a field down the street. Problem is, the whole area is developed in a way that there are thousands of homes within 500ft of each other making firing a weapon illegal. The laws are indeed strict. Too strict. I bought my kid a bb gun a few years ago and noted that it is illegal to discharge any weapon anywhere in Suffolk without a hunting permit, including a bb gun in your own backyard. By definition, even a slingshot (fires a projectile) is illegal. A funny bunch out there, grousing about the damage the deer are doing, while hand-wringing about protecting them at the same time.