They shoot the same?

I just looked down in my cabinet. I actually ended up buying and trying out last year the Remington corelokts and the federal fusions (180gr) and they both did not group very well out of my rifle. I think I'll try the whitetail hornady round, and also grab a box of some kind of Winchester round. I don't want to try and test a super expensive round like nosler. I can't see myself dropping 40+ dollars on a box of ammo.

I could not get the remington corelokts to shoot from my 30-06 apex , i reluctantly bought a box of 40 dollar winchester ballistic tips and the rifle shoots sub MOA . Luckily i don't shoot the rifle that much because i also don't enjoy spending 40 dollars on 20 bullets.

I could not get the remington corelokts to shoot from my 30-06 apex , i reluctantly bought a box of 40 dollar winchester ballistic tips and the rifle shoots sub MOA . Luckily i don't shoot the rifle that much because i also don't enjoy spending 40 dollars on 20 bullets.

yeah, I dread buying top shelf priced bullets but then again, I'm not a range going guy. I shoot good and enjoy the range but don't enjoy the tab it leaves on my credit card. I shoot only like twice a year with my guns at the range to check the zero. And get my real practice in when I get paid to shoot guns for the army.

I've had good luck with Federal Fusion bullets and Rem Corlokts.  I've used more expensive ballistic tipped ones in the past and always go back.  Cheaper and they work well.  I thought about trying Berger VLDs but don't want something that fragments once it's in the deer.  I process my own deer is why and don't want to be picking out pieces.  however, not sure what others think, but I do like 150 gr opposed to say 180 gr. for most game.  I think the 180 gr punch through more, where the lighter bullets slow down upon impact more, dissipating more energy into the deer to put it down.  if the bullet passes through the deer and keeps going that to me, in some way, is waisted energy.

• Like 1

The coreloct was designed as a controlled expansion bullet.  If it comes apart  it it because it is being pushed at magnum velocity, faster than it was designed for.. It works fine in chamberings such as the 30-06,.308, or 7mm08.

That's why belted magnums such as the .300 mags and the 7MM Mags have a reputation as meat wasters... They perform better with more stoutly constructed bullets, like the Nosler  partition or accubond, or my personal favorite, the Barnes X bullets. With the Barnes, you can go to a lighter bullet, jack up the velocity, and still get nearly 100% weight retention , and they always exit, at least on broadside shots.

I have never bought into the " more energy dissapated on the deer"  theory...I'd rather have two holes in the animal.

The coreloct was designed as a controlled expansion bullet.  If it comes apart  it it because it is being pushed at magnum velocity, faster than it was designed for.. It works fine in chamberings such as the 30-06,.308, or 7mm08.

That's why belted magnums such as the .300 mags and the 7MM Mags have a reputation as meat wasters... They perform better with more stoutly constructed bullets, like the Nosler  partition or accubond, or my personal favorite, the Barnes X bullets. With the Barnes, you can go to a lighter bullet, jack up the velocity, and still get nearly 100% weight retention , and they always exit, at least on broadside shots.

I have never bought into the " more energy dissapated on the deer"  theory...I'd rather have two holes in the animal.

Thats what I was thinking, in my case it was out of a 7mm RM. Remington now offers a bonded bullet called a "ultra" something or other and I bet thats why.

After cutting up my doe this week, I can tell you that the damage the hornady BTSP really was amazing. It didn't hold shape well as there is just channels of fragments all over the cavity. I'll be ordering a box of the Barnes TSX tipped in 168gr and shoot the box of nearly full fusions and see if they group any better than when I first bought the rifle.

After cutting up my doe this week, I can tell you that the damage the hornady BTSP really was amazing. It didn't hold shape well as there is just channels of fragments all over the cavity. I'll be ordering a box of the Barnes TSX tipped in 168gr and shoot the box of nearly full fusions and see if they group any better than when I first bought the rifle.

When Barnes bullets first became available, there were issues with copper fouling and with accuracy..

Those issues have been addressed and current bullets are MUCH better in both respects than the early ones..

I can't predict how well your rifle will group them...

However, I'd bet my next month's social security check that you would be happy with thier performance on game...<<grin>>..

I agree with this regarding the Corelokt bullets.  My experience is with a 30-06 and other standard calibers mentioned including the 270.  Only magnum I have first hand experience with is a 300 win mag.  Different bullets are shot out of that though.

out of a 30-06 you can still punch through lower shoulder bones on both sides within reasonable hunting ranges using a 150 gr corelokt.  I've done it although I highly don't recommend it, due to both shoulders being blown up with bone fragments and blood clotting, depite the short tracking job you'd have.  i think two holes are better than two for tracking.  that said I still think it's hard to argue the "more energy dissipated in deer" theory, it's just plain physics.