Good article on deer vision

nybuckboy

yep, too many people  don't realize that a deer doesn't see anything like we do. That's why I just shake my head about the obsession of having to blend into the surroundings without being seen.  Most people strive to be invisible to people, not deer. BIG difference! Deer see nothing like we do yet everyone bases their hunting attire based in the assumption that we see alike.  "well my buddy can see me so a deer can too", and visa versa. Wrong.

Like night and day (pun intended. :D)  I wear blaze orange camo head to foot and from my experience and research, I'd bet money that a deer doesn't see me quicker or easier than someone in camo that makes them "invisible" to humans.  I've long maintained that the whole invi-camo thing was generated by companies to get $ out of peoples pockets, and it's worked.  It is important to watch what colors you wear as the article points out, but the main things from a visual aspect to avoid detection is to break up your image and either stay still or move PAINFULLY slow.  The whole camo thing is a very well played advertizing success.

I think you are right:  Deer see movement....be still or move slowly and you can beat their eyes.  In my experience, deer use their eyes to confirm what their other senses have told them.  I can recall numerous times where a deer had smelled me and then stood stark still until I was forced to move.....and then departed with a snort!  I, too, really like orange camo.

I was riding on my property on my red atv towing my small trailer behind it, making a hell of a racket, I had my orange and black camo coat on, my lab was sitting on the back with a bright orange hankerchef  tied around his neck. A dow was bedded down below us it heard us but stood up moving it's head trying to pick us out.A good minute or two went by and I then picked up my bino. to make sure it was a doe. It then saw the glare from the lenses ( sun was in our eyes ) and then started to walk away. 

Had a group of 3 deer come within less than 10 yards from me this year while I was out squirrel hunting in September.  I was wearing a blue sweat shirt and blue jeans.  I stood as still as a statue, out in the open.  They kept eating.  I just happened to be in their food path as they ate their way towards me.  I'm sure they saw this blue object but too dumb to know what it was.  It wasn't until they got under 10 yards before they were able to realize that was a human being standing there and they jumped and ran.

Well, it's one thing to prove that they see certain colors, and yet another thing to prove that color registers as any kind of identification or alarm feature for them. They don't think and analyze as humans do. So who's to say that simply being able to distinguish color really means anything to them? Distinct shapes and movement may be the sole tip-off for them.