NY "Second Gun Season"

JFB

have no gun season and make it bow only and you will see the numbers rise!  What Illinois does it great but they only have a 3 day season for the first then 3 day that butts up to a 4 day ML so 10 days of hunting.  And no rifle what is great NY should do the same! Not that its that much different almost anyone can shoot 150 yds with a 12 gauge...if u cant you prob shouldnt be in the woods anyway.

And one buck per year no matter what weapon used would be great! and the places with "too many deer" should be 100% earn a buck.  Shoot a doe first before u get the buck tag.

have no gun season and make it bow only and you will see the numbers rise! What Illinois does it great but they only have a 3 day season for the first then 3 day that butts up to a 4 day ML so 10 days of hunting. And no rifle what is great NY should do the same! Not that its that much different almost anyone can shoot 150 yds with a 12 gauge...if u cant you prob shouldnt be in the woods anyway.

And one buck per year no matter what weapon used would be great! and the places with "too many deer" should be 100% earn a buck. Shoot a doe first before u get the buck tag.

You would have some serious population control issues. In some areas of the state, the current harvest goals dont get met year in and year out with things the way they are now.

I  really don't see how it would make a differance. I hunt opening week end and the weekends after that as well. The rest of rifle season is not as active after the first 2 days. Went back up the week end following opening day and the deer were all out in the fields with no pressure at all. So why break up the season? Unless the intent is to get more hunters into the woods like it is a second opening day.

You would have some serious population control issues. In some areas of the state, the current harvest goals dont get met year in and year out with things the way they are now.
i think they need to do a better job of splitting up the state in terms of zones. Areas like 9a and 9f are full of deer. They should also have more of an incentive for land owners to open there land to hunting. My buddy nuisance hunts a farm in 9 f last year shot 20 deer durning that season then shot 3 more during regular season. I was out coyote hunting the property later in the year and saw 15 plus deer in 2 hours

Ok, I am curious what the purpose of a "rest-period" would be. What is the hoped-for result? I view anything that pushes seasons farther out into the year as being a bad thing. As has already been mentioned, the later parts of the year, bucks are starting to drop their antlers, and in many cases, later hunting seasons promote mistakenly shooting bucks that are thought to be simply antlerless targets.

So all that aside, can anyone explain what the purpose of the "intermission" would be?