Looking for a Reminton 700 SA for a project

I am looking for a Remington 700 SA for a project.Theres a guy in Canada that does Smokeless powder muzzleloader conversions on them and I have wanted to do it for some time now.I can buy a brand new SPS in 22-250 or 243 for 600 and he will buy the barrel off of me for 100 dollars when he does the conversion if the barrel is unfired,but I dont want to tear,or pay for a brand new gun to tear apart to do this conversion.So what I am looking for is someone that has a 700 in 308 bolt face(22-250,243,308 I am sure others).I dont care about the condition really as I will be buying a new stock for it more than likely and the only parts I will be using are the receiver,bolt and trigger group.So if someone has a old beat up 700 short action that would like to sell,or one with a bent barrel that Uncle Cletus ran over with the Ford 9N when pulling a deer out let me know!!LOL I may also just buy the parts I need if I can find them.Right now the receiver is proving to be a pain in the but to find.As always to comply with the laws we will go to a FFL to transfer anything to keep everyone on the up and up and out of trouble.Thanks

Can't an ADL work? Walmart sells them in the 400s new...if you do that and get a 100 bill back from an unfired barrel, that puts you into the 300s.

I got my 243 ADL for $330 there on Black Friday.

Edited by phade

I am not sure which if any walmart around me sells guns,Brownells isn't going to happen because by the time I buy a action from them I could buy  a complete gun and  be into it for less than that after selling the barrel and having a stock also to sell or use and thanks Lurkin but he didn't have anything.I will follow up on what Walmart may be able to get me a rifle in though.

Any bolt action / or any action will work all it is doing is allowing the fireing pin to hit the primer ,not ejecting a paticular cartridge.I hope this fellow is capable of machining any thread to match any receiver / action.And the removable plug that holds the primer. He must have a deal going with someone who buys the Barrels.Any good Machinist or Gunsmith with the time,knowhow and proper lathe should be able to do it.

Look into Sturm Ruger 77 actions they will work and are cheap,Built a few odd ball custom rounds using them.

Check out Doug's board, lots of info and parts on sml over there. Might want to get a apex in 45/70 or New England firearms , Herrington and Richardson single shot and convert that to. Seems the sml is starting to catch on to people.

Edited by sbuff

I already have a savage 10ML2 and really like it,Remington 700's just fit me really well and the thought of getting a custom rifle has always kind of intrigued me a bit.The other way I may go is to build one off a Encore  frame and then its a bit easier.The Remington 700 is my first pic,Encore is second.The NEF guns have never fit me well.Thanks for all the info guys.I also have been on dougs board for a few years,its part of the reason I am doing something custom like this!!LOL

What I don't understand is that if you worked up a smokeless powder load that gave the same amount of energy as lets say 100 grains of blackpowder, why you couldn't use it in a regular muzzleloader??

The reason most want to go with smokeless these days is to have much increased pressure over black powder and to shoot their bullets without sabots.

The energy and velocity they get is outstanding and shooting to 300-400 yards is very common.

I have a friend who has built a couple for himself off of Model 70 s/a rifles.  He has used both Kreiger and Brux barrels and you would NOT believe the accuracy!!  He uses Parker 275BE slugs that are, oh what is the word for it......swagged down to fit real tight for super accuracy and no gas loss. 

• Like 1

http://www.chuckhawks.com/about_smokeless_muzzleloading.htm

In here it says that smokeless pressures can be less than the maximum load for conventional inlines. Like troutfisher said though- I ain't trying it!

I have a Savage. I bought it in 2011 with the intention of using it during shotgun season in Cayuga County. Of course the DEC made rifles a legal implement in 2012, so I don't shoot it as much as I had originally planned. My only complaint about it is the weight.

• Like 1

Yup savages are a bit heavy.I like that though as it soaks up the recoil.That savage you have is worth big$$$ to the right person now that they are no longer made

I bought mine through Natchez SS. Apparently Savage did a limited run of 1000 or so. I was flipping through the catalog and saw it in there, did a double-take, and placed my order the very next morning. Because mine is newer it came with the accutrigger as well.

I bought mine through Natchez SS. Apparently Savage did a limited run of 1000 or so. I was flipping through the catalog and saw it in there, did a double-take, and placed my order the very next morning. Because mine is newer it came with the accutrigger as well.

Mines has the accutrigger as well.I love the way it shoots and will more than likely keep it for a spare or so if someone needs one to borrow I have it.I also shot my biggest buck with it so it holds a little sentimental value also

Wow you just cannot find a Remy. action long or short anywhere, I spent a few hours on Google searching.Even used complete rifles are not that cheap.I have had a few blueprinted some with aftermarket bolts,triggers, ect, and some stock parts. Both long and short actions.They were a little smoother then stock but still did not compare to the after market clones of the Remy.action which I had on some custom rifles.Not cheap but nice and smooth. 

There may be someway to match pressures but that's better left for someone else to try,not me

If you're going to match pressure what's the point,  cleaning?

I sure hope not......................

Black powder substitutes are pretty darn clean burning and not nearly as dangerous to handle these days as the "old time" real black powder.  That stuff was fun.............. B)