Fruit trees in the Ontario County area

So it looks like we have lost Miller Nurseries as a supplier of bare-root fruit trees. Does anyone have an alternate supplier within a reasonable drive from Canandaigua? I am not sure about the reliability of mail-order houses when it comes to bare-root trees Anybody have any experience or recommendations for mail order sources. Personally I would rather have some place that I could drive to and look at the product and then come home with them. But I'm not sure that I have that option anymore. I know that places like Lowes have them but they usually don't look all that good. And then there's Bristol Nurseries out on Rte 96 but they want your right arm and your first born for each tree. But I keep getting the feeling that I'm overlooking or forgetting someplace good.

So anyways, next spring I will be looking for a couple of pear trees to add to my orchard. I just have no idea where to go since Millers bit the dust. Any help???

I have ordered from Starks...they are pretty good...but having to pay shipping ticks me off...I' m going to be looking toward the Geneva research farm's...I do have a possibility not far..but tbey supply whole sale.. so this spring I'll go and see what I can fanagle(sp)    no sign so I don't have a name......

I can vouch for Cummins Nursery and Adams County Nursery in PA.  Google search for both.

Also Wafler nursery in Williamson I have heard but not used does nice work and they also offer trees in wildlife packages.

Wafler is also found on the web.

Generally if you order in big numbers you can save.....  I usually order fruit trees every year and offer friends the chance to order with me, this year I am planting 500 Norway Spruce 4a plugs from Itasaca Nursery.

Yes...the brother died last spring and a call was immediately made to Starks...I'll assume Starks had been courting them for some time...at the moment Starks will be carrying some of their "Miller" stock...but I can't find any where ..the status  of land- field operations/ owner ship...they for all I know retained a hand in field production...I don't know...closed Canadagua store last year...Son could not use his GC ...but Starks sent a new one...only problem...shipping cost now and not picking own stock...

Edited by growalot

Check out Waflers in Wolcott, they sell deer specific packs http://www.waflernursery.com/wildlife.php

Bill Pitts really knows his stuff. They grow 500,000 plus apple and pear trees a year, but he's a hunter so he likes to provide trees for hunters too. Close enough to drive up and the packs are designed to produce (10 diff varieties) from late summer through gun season. I've been ordering for years and highly recommend them!