I was talking to a new associate in the Webster DICKs today . I asked him about the ammo check and he wasn't sure what was going to happen . He thinks that when the checks start taking place that people will have to show that the gun they are buying ammo for is registered in the State .

I had a friend denied at cabelas in hamburg because eh had a ny license.  he tried to buy with a credit card and it was flagged to show id. If I were going, I would bring cash since your address is linked to your credit and debit card

I was talking to a new associate in the Webster DICKs today . I asked him about the ammo check and he wasn't sure what was going to happen . He thinks that when the checks start taking place that people will have to show that the gun they are buying ammo for is registered in the State .
wonder why? All long guns do not require registration, even with the safe act.

This is what scares me. The law is bad enough. Misinformed store employees and management could make things worse.

There is absolutely nothing in NY law that requires you show you must own a particular caliber gun to be allowed to purchase that caliber ammo. You don't even need to own a gun to purchase ammo.

Only certain guns will require registration. Also, the new registration requirement for long guns with certain features does not go into effect until April 15, which would make it impossible for most to "prove" registration between the ammo law taking effect on 1/15 and the registration provision on 4/15.

What the new law does require a background check for ammo purchases in NY. It does not limit the amount, type or caliber purchased. (That is bad enough and hopefully will not survive the inevitable SCotUS challenge).

While I am not a lawyer, I can see nothing in the law which prohibits (or even references) your ability to travel outside NY to purchase any and as much ammo as you like for your own use and bring it back to NY.

I really hope local stores do not get stupid and start making the situation even worse. I don't necessarily agree with the "screw them" mentality for local stores, but I will definitely not purchase anything as a store that starts with crazy rules or price gouges. If you try to purchase ammo in NY and are hassled by a silly rule like needing to "prove" anything, ask for the manager. If he says the same thing, ask to see the store policy.

Same thing for places like Cabela's in PA. There is absolutely nothing wrong (as far as I can see) with them selling you ammo in PA. Even if they somehow feel there is a problem with you bringing to your home in NY, who's to say you are not purchasing it for use in PA (or another state)? Any refusal to sell would be store policy.

BTW, I was just in the Hamburg Cabela's and used a credit card. No ID requested. I didn't buy ammo this time (no stock on most calibers I use, and the prices were very high on those I do). Not sure if the ID thing is random, applied to certain cards or kicks in with an ammo purchase.

Edited by jrm

This is what scares me. The law is bad enough. Misinformed store employees and management could make things worse.

There is absolutely nothing in NY law that requires you show you must own a particular caliber gun to be allowed to purchase that caliber ammo. You don't even need to own a gun to purchase ammo.

Only certain guns will require registration. Also, the new registration requirement for long guns with certain features does not go into effect until April 15, which would make it impossible for most to "prove" registration between the ammo law taking effect on 1/15 and the registration provision on 4/15. The new registration probably doesn't have a "card" so it is doubtful there will be an easy way to prove registration after 4/15.

What the new law does require is a background check for ammo purchases in NY. (That is bad enough and hopefully will not survive the inevitable SCotUS challenge). It does not limit the amount, type or caliber purchased.

While I am not a lawyer, I can see nothing in the law which prohibits (or even references) your ability to travel outside NY to purchase any and as much ammo as you like for your own use and bring it back to NY.

I really hope local stores do not get stupid and start making the situation even worse. I don't necessarily agree with the "screw them" mentality for local stores, but I will definitely not purchase anything as a store that starts with crazy rules or price gouges. If you try to purchase ammo in NY and are hassled by a silly rule like needing to "prove" anything, ask for the manager. If he says the same thing, ask to see the store policy.

Same thing for places like Cabela's in PA. There is absolutely nothing wrong (as far as I can see) with them selling you ammo in PA. Even if they somehow feel there is a problem with you bringing to your home in NY, who's to say you are not purchasing it for use in PA (or another state)? Any refusal to sell would be store policy.

BTW, I was just in the Hamburg Cabela's and used a credit card. No ID requested. I didn't buy ammo this time (no stock on most calibers I use, and the prices were very high on those I do). Not sure if the ID thing is random, applied to certain cards or kicks in with an ammo purchase.

Edited by jrm

I understand why it is so difficult to come up with these arrangements. It could very well be ammo sales lost by these NYS dealers.

The NY dealers have been losing ammo sales for a while. Although the situation sucks for all involved, the local stores are going to have to learn to adapt to he new business environment. Things are always changing and you adapt if you want to survive.

If you can buy something online for $x.xx, there is no reason for a local store to charge 3x, 4x or 5x that amount. I run a business and completely understand that that "brick and mortar" people have different expenses. However, many of the online resellers are also physical stores who were simply smart enough to open an online store and make their money though good prices and high volume.

Heck, a local store could order the same ammo from an online vendor and add a 10-20% markup. If they really tried, they could go to the source and get the ammo at closer to "wholesale" price (depending on volume). Everyone would make out on that deal. Somehow, _some_ local stores are either inept at purchasing or gouging customers. There is no reason I can get ammo online for under $.50/round (delivered) while a store like Dick's (which has the purchasing power of a large chain) sells the same exact ammo for over $1.00/round.

Again, the situation sucks. However, Lucky Gunner and the NY stores who are charging only $10/transaction are smart. LG makes a sale and the local store generates traffic. At least some of the folks picking up ammo will make an additional purchase they would not have at that store.

Edited by jrm

yea that lady, Lou, at crossgates Dick's is always helpful.  I've been there many many times. 

I thought it was part of the law that a dealer may only charge up to $10 (obviously charging as much as they can).  That long island dealer mentioned charging $70 will probably be looking at lawsuits or most likely a letter from a customer via the attorney general.

the fall out from this SAFE Act hasn't even begun yet.  Try imagine standing behind a counter at Walmart or Dick's and explaining to an innocent yet ignorant old man or woman who hasn't been up on this stuff what's going on.  Go ahead tell them that 50rd little box of 22LR ammo, they want to dispatch the squirrels from their bird feeders, is instead of $2.99 more like $8.99 plus the $10 fee for a total of just about $20.  They'll be upset and won't understand no matter how much you try to explain.  Better yet the money poor guy, that could careless about owning an assault weapon and kills the limit of deer every year to feed his family, just showed up.  Unlike the mostly passive old folk, he's full of p*ss and vinegar.  You tell him that the normally on sale $15.99 green cor-lokt box of ammo is now just about $30 and he's got to wait 30 minutes at least to fill out forms and do a background check with the NYSP.  All while the transaction's started so he's hooked and his wife with his kid or kids are wanting to go somewhere and getting very impatient.  Now this happens all day and the person behind the counter doesn't even own a gun and has had a horrible day at work.  They're still in a crap mood but now complaining to their other half about how the SAFE Act sucks in some way shape or form.  I can think of a lot more people with screwed over situations to show up at the counter too.

Imagine that effect and how much the peoples' eyes would open up then.  I wonder what the person, who states "it's just registering a gun ya got. big deal.", will say now.

....or a incredible kid gets turned down for some community or scholarship award, because somehow it gets out that he/she's got a criminal record.  all that because years ago at a young age he/she was plinking cans with their dad on the grandparents' land with a 22lr with 8 rounds in the clip.  DEC or NYSP happened to drive by and they thought with Skretny's decision up to 10 rounds was okay anyway.  Who would know?!?