Official Officially Scored Buck Score/Age Estimation Thread

sampotter

Are you guys trying to age a deer by looking at a mount?

Hey they asked so just working with the information given. So many factors. One I think most people do not consider enough is where it was shot and the weight of the deer. Combine that info with the body specifics and rack in a pic and you have a lot better info to go on.

Hey they asked so just working with the information given. So many factors. One I think most people do not consider enough is where it was shot and the weight of the deer. Combine that info with the body specifics and rack in a pic and you have a lot better info to go on.

I try not to look at the rack when aging a deer. Body characteristics are far more accurate.

Guys that buck has an enormous neck. When that was scored the guy said this deer must of weighed 250 + His front end was huge but had no meat on the back end.

Weighed 161 lbs. Ill try to dig up some other photos before he was mounted. Had cardboard wadding from a shotgun blast healed over in his front leg!

Guys that buck has an enormous neck. When that was scored the guy said this deer must of weighed 250 + His front end was huge but had no meat on the back end.

Weighed 161 lbs. Ill try to dig up some other photos before he was mounted. Had cardboard wadding from a shotgun blast healed over in his front leg!

That's how my buck was (buck #2). He had huge shoulders but absolutely no fat on him and thin from the ribs back. He weighed 175# dressed. The taxidermist guessed him to be 4.5 too but I don't think he really knew what he was doing. I shot him on December 5 so I think he burned all his fat reserves up rutting!

• Like 1