Will this Rope Work??

88GW

Was thinking about making a few lifelines and tying prusik knots for my stands. With this much rope you could make 20 lifelines.  Tensile strength is 6525 lbs and safe working load limit is 1305.  Most of my research has shown a minimum of 4500lb tensile and 300 lb working load limit.

I am hoping someone with experience in climbing or tree felling can chime in.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1518121

Edited by 88GW

I'd personally buy a kern mantle style static rope. I have bought lots of stuff from Sportsman's Guide, but would be very hesitant to buy rope from them.

I was a Pennsylvania State Fire Academy Rescue instructor for 10+ years, ran at a department that did a lot of technical rescue, and have played around with rappelling and high ropes courses for years.

• Like 1

Boy you'd sure think it would be fine but I can't say either. 

Last summer I did a little test one of my life lines.  I took 200lbs plus of weight and attached a caribiner from the weight to a prussic hitch attached to one of my life lines.  We raised the entire 200lbs PLUS me in my buddies tractor bucket to about 10' then I pushed the 200lbs out as the bucket was tipped.  I purposely pushed it as fast as possible to simulate a quick drop. Everything held as planned and it was very non dramatic!!

I was a happy camper at that point.  The lines I use are just high quality marine lines.  I don't recall where I got the prussic hitch lines, it could have been EMS??

Don't forget, the prussic hitch line diameter has to be smaller than the life line.  (I think I read that somewhere when I was making them!!)

Keep us posted on your decisions.   

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to make my own ropes and saw online about a place called BMO Rescue. I knew nothing and they walked me through what I would need.

told the guy it was for a treestand and got 20 feet line and something for a prusik (sp) knot learned how to tie knots by watching you tube and stuck em on my treestand and jumped off the tree at like 5 feet with my wife watchin me like I was an idiot.

I found 33' was the length that worked for me.  Remember, the rope has to have a loop in it at the top end, then the rope has to go around the trunk once (on a smaller diameter tree I'll wrap it around the tree twice, why not?) then drop down and be tied at waist height (or thereabouts).  You need it fairly tight or when you're climbing up the prussic is a PIA.

I know you didn't ask but there you go anyways...... :bye:

PS....100' rope/line makes three safety lines. Duhhh!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...