my first deer ever.

lostkause

well after 3 yrs of trying I finally got my first deer. I have been going out about every weekend and any chance I got during the work week . Every time I went out with someone I helped them drag one back asking myself if I was ever going to get my chance. last night just as the sun was getting ready to go down and the woods turned to that nice orange glow I decided to hit my bleat one last time and then came the rustling in the leaves to my left. So I hit the bleat one more time then immediately hit the grunt tube after it. The deer jumped up and ran to a hillside about 200 yards away and hid behind a tree. I thought for sure it was a doe so I drew up on it with my 30-06 and waited for it to step out. Then after about 2 min he finally took that fatal step. Boom I let him have it he took one step then dropped right there. After 2 to 3 kicks he was done. By the time I got to him the sun was setting even faster so after checking my shot (right through both lungs ) I started gutting it by then it was pretty dark and after letting a buddy barrow my knife it was extremely dull. So my first gut job was in the dark with a dull knife oh and my flash light fell into the pool of blood that had developed inside him and had a nice red glow to it. Then the drag back to the truck about 1-2 miles through the thorn bushes then swamp then the fun hills of the western Adirondacks (Jadwin State forest) 2 and a half hours later I had my first deer sitting at the back of my truck trying to figure out how I was going to get it loaded into the truck. With the use of a couple ratchet straps and some good old fashioned muscle I was on my way home. 

post-1706-131455369047_thumb.jpg

post-1706-131455369217_thumb.jpg

post-1706-131455369391_thumb.jpg

Butchering isn't too hard. If you know anyone with a band-saw and some steady hands its even better.

A band saw is not necessary to cut up a deer.  Bone him out.  I can do the entire job with out a saw of any kind and have plenty of times.  I do use a meat/bone saw (looks like a hack saw on steroids) but that is when I butcher at home and only used to severe the front legs, above the knee and to remove the neck after skinning down as far as I can go.  After I remove the front shoulders, neck meat, back straps and tender loins then I remove the hindquarters at the ball & socket joint.  At that point, I have to remove the rear feet from the quarters before I bring them into the house for the boning process and that is also done with the bone saw.

The last time to use the bone saw is when removing the skull plate of the buck for mounting in a prominent spot in my man cave or just toss in a bucket of other misc. bucks over the years.

Get a decent skinning knife, a boning or fillet knife, a bone saw. some quality Cling or Saran wrap, some Reynolds Freezer Paper, masking tape and a Sharpie and rule the butchers world.

The only difficult thing for me is getting rid of the parts but we have sources for disposal!

(I know, the deer in question is already cut up but for the next one, he'll be prepared)