help suggestions...

So I have a range finder...Cabelas made by Bushnell...several years old...never needed to change the battery ...I went to unscrew the little plastic battery plug...and the plastic slot started to hhmm"strip" the plug won't budge...I stopped...Now I fear...if I do get it undone with out completely ruining the slot...I may possibly strip the inner threads...anyone ever come across this problem? and any ideas on how to proceed?

Edited by growalot

A drop or two of mineral oil on a q-tip, rubbed around the rim of the plug. Let it sit and weep down in for a couple of hours. Then make sure you have a good grip on the plug and the rangefinder and it should break free.

I like the snap ring pliers idea, but you need to break the bond first. Plastic to plastic bonds can be tough after a few years.

Whatever you use to loosen it, less is more. Unless you really want a new rangefinder.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

buy a Nikon with metal threads that use sealed watch type batteries. lol  I've never had issues with my Nikon Riflehunter 1000.

I don't like the mineral oil idea or putting anything liquid into it, but I can see if you're really careful it'll just say with the threads.  culvercreeks idea is good but again great care is needed.  I don't know.