Snow Plowing question

virgil

I'm looking online at a hunting property that is located on an abandoned town road.  It looks like a good piece of property and has a nice cabin on it.  The issue is that access may be an issue when the snow piles up.  My question is this: does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?  I'm assuming that I could make contact with a person who lives in the area and does plowing in the winter.  I thought that if I bought the place, I wouldbe able to contact him and arrange for the road to be plowed before I head upstate.  I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or experience- I'm hoping to head upstate next week to look at the place but don't want to waste my time if this is a harebrained idea.

I'm not sure about any legal restrictions involving opening up an abandoned town road. We recently had a thread about that sort of thing and the possible legal ramifications involved. Could be something you might want to check with the highway superintendent of the town first. See if the township has a web-site with town phone numbers.

You would have to look into the legal aspects of this but from experience you would basically have to keep the road cleared all winter. My father used to be a care taker at a private "park" and part of his job was plowing the private roads. If you do not keep them kept up after so much snow and ice build up a plow will not be able clear it out. If the road is kept up you should be able to use a pick up with a plow to keep it clear all winter. If not kept up even a highway plow is just going to make a mess and get stuck. If doing it yourself was an option it would be very time consuming if hiring it out it will become very expensive. My suggestion would be to invest in a snowmobile.

Noah, do you mean that I'd have to keep it clear for legal reasons, or just so that not too much snow piles up?  My guess is that I would use it through the ML season and then not again until early spring.  If need be, I could look into how much someone would charge to keep it passable through January. 

you would/just need to keep it clear for ease of plowing untill your done usuing it for the season. a tractor or truck would do the job, but a build up of deep snow you would have to bring in an excavator...easier just to pay some one to plow it every time it snows, or buy a good used snowmobile and just plow a parking area at end of road. it will depend on how much snow you expect to get..some years we dont even get snow deep enough to worry about till late muzzloader...

I'm looking online at a hunting property that is located on an abandoned town road.  It looks like a good piece of property and has a nice cabin on it.  The issue is that access may be an issue when the snow piles up.  My question is this: does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?  I'm assuming that I could make contact with a person who lives in the area and does plowing in the winter.  I thought that if I bought the place, I wouldbe able to contact him and arrange for the road to be plowed before I head upstate.  I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or experience- I'm hoping to head upstate next week to look at the place but don't want to waste my time if this is a harebrained idea.

How do you know the road is abandoned?

Our camp is on a seasonal road, By the time its snowed in the hunting season is over anyhow, but when we do go there during the off season to check on things we either ride snowmobiles in or the wheelers.  However sometimes the locals keep driving the seasonal road all winter and its hard packed so we can drive on it as well.  I get enough snow here at home so I dont feel the need very often to go to camp to look at more snow anyways.

The property listing states that it's on an abandoned town road with a deeded right of way.  I believe the seller is in the process of requesting the town convert it to a private road.  But, I don't know anything about that process.

That's a good suggestion about clearing a parking area and then using a snow machine or four wheeler.  I'm hoping to head up there later this week to take a look.

Also a good point about the snow- there have been plenty of years where we barely get any snow until after hunting season.

I believe there is an offer on this property that is contingent on the road being changed from 'abandoned' to private.  My feeling is that it's really not much of an issue.  That's why I was asking for everyone's advice.  Appreciate the help.

The difference is private or abandoned is , abandoned the property owners on both side own the property and access is usually by foot . Private road makes it accesable to vehicle and up keep is the landowners users responsibility.. You need to see what right of way is deeded for.. if your a mile back on it and its only footpath access..you might want to reconsider... your neighbors could theoretically place posts across old road making it foot only...(some neighbors can get nasty.)

OK, I'll have to look into that.  From the pictures, it looks like a dirt road- definitely passable by car.  But, I don't know how long the road is and I'll look into exactly how the right of way is described.  Thanks for the advice.

They just abandoned a road by a friends camp down the road. The owners on either side own half the road to centerline each.. he owns 30 acres on both sides and the property beyond is now land locked with deeded access.. he was having problems with the Amish using it as a short cut and tresspass, he is allowed to place and did put up gate and had keys made for 2 landowners past his. But its foot access only.. just don't get burned make sure access is allowed for vehicle s...