Drones

Doc

So, with the advent of the acceptance of drones into civilian air space, and the down-sizing of cost that will surely happen as they begin to find their way into more and more civilian uses, what do you guys think of their potential uses for hunting? Would you find it acceptable for hunting parties to have a "live eye in the sky" for scouting and hunting deer? Does this thought pose any ethical concerns as regards the principles of "fair chase"?

I think they are fine for scouting or assessing herd size...pretty sure you could drop $800-$50,000 right now and start your eye-in-the-sky survey today, no regs prohibiting.

As far as hunting with them as real time surveillance that is certainly outside the realm of fair chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Yes, as an official DEC tool for management probably not a problem. But as I have been led to believe, these things are not regulated from a private or hunting use. As a matter of fact, an early version of this technology was used by an anti-hunting organization taking pictures of participants in a private dove shooting activity as a means of harassment. So, it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to see how this could be successfully used in a hunting scenario. Yes, technology advances do seem to pose all kinds of new challenges. I suspect that this issue will eventually have to be addressed.

During long hours on stand I've often fantasized how beneficial it would be, to be able to fly low over the area like a hawk to see where the deer were. However having drones buzzing around as a scouting tool is not something I ever want to see. And it would be a sad day indeed if they were allowed as a hunting tool during a hunt. I would rather have to go out in the woods and find a good Osage tree, cut off a limb and start carving my own bow to hunt with and take it in that direction, then go in the direction of more help from modern electronic technology. Just 2 cents from an older guy who longs for simple, quiet, relaxing times out in nature. Giving respect to the deer and being able to take one through hours of hard work and luck from above is a big part of what I seek.

GM

Yup we will be able to find where each mature buck is at on a property on any givin day and then set up to drive them out and take them. I can see that coming down the road. Its all about inches and bone for many, at any cost.

That should give the anti's and a few other groups something to write about.  Wonder how the record book clubs will react to this one?   Do time and they will be a thing of the past also.

Yup we will be able to find where each mature buck is at on a property on any givin day and then set up to drive them out and take them. I can see that coming down the road. Its all about inches and bone for many, at any cost.

That should give the anti's and a few other groups something to write about. Wonder how the record book clubs will react to this one? Do time and they will be a thing of the past also.

Maybe in Texas where they practically do that anyway but not here. Everyone just calm down the sky is not falling on every topic.

You would need one or more of the most sophisticated drones in the $10,000 range with much more sophisticated cameras again $10,000 and up just for the cameras it would be super expensive and you would need someone full-time operating it since you wouldn't be able to program the deer's movements.

There are no laws against it that I know of so I would think we would have heard by now if they were being used to hunt.

Like I said, the notion of doing routine arial scouting surveillance or herd management surveillance for as little as $800 is interesting in terms of deer managemt on a property.

Edited by Meat Manager

Maybe in Texas where they practically do that anyway but not here. Everyone just calm down the sky is not falling on every topic. You would need one or more of the more sophisticated drones in the $10,000 range with much more sophisticated cameras again $10,000 or more just for the cameras it would be super expensive and you would need someone full-time operating it since you wouldn't be able to program the deers movements. There are no laws against it that I know of so I would think we would have heard by now if they were being used to hunt. Like I said, the notion of doing routine arial scouting surveillance or herd management surveillance for as little as $800 is interesting in terms of deer managemt on a property. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 grand for many is nothing when it comes to that.  Yes average Joe will be at a disadvantage again but the more hunting turns into a sport for the wealthy the sky's the limit....But maybe not?

10 grand for many is nothing when it comes to that. Yes average Joe will be at a disadvantage again but the more hunting turns into a sport for the wealthy the sky's the limit....But maybe not?

Too true...Good thing the FAA is just one of several agencies looking into regulating these aircraft as we speak.

Edited by Meat Manager

There are already companies that sell drones (those copters) for hunting purposes.

We went through a pitch at the Harrisburg show this year. Not cheap and seemingly more useful for western hunting, although it could be used here in many situations. The units were not cheap, several thousand dollars. But, the footage captured is amazing. The elk reactions were pretty comical - confused but not bothered.

Edited by phade

Maybe in Texas where they practically do that anyway but not here. Everyone just calm down the sky is not falling on every topic. You would need one or more of the most sophisticated drones in the $10,000 range with much more sophisticated cameras again $10,000 and up just for the cameras it would be super expensive and you would need someone full-time operating it since you wouldn't be able to program the deer's movements. There are no laws against it that I know of so I would think we would have heard by now if they were being used to hunt. Like I said, the notion of doing routine arial scouting surveillance or herd management surveillance for as little as $800 is interesting in terms of deer managemt on a property. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While they were several thousand dollars, the ones at Harrisburg were nowhere near 10k. 3-5k.

10 grand for many is nothing when it comes to that.  Yes average Joe will be at a disadvantage again but the more hunting turns into a sport for the wealthy the sky's the limit....But maybe not?

If you need a drone to hunt I would say you're at a disadvantage and I'd rather be the average Joe enjoying the tranquility of the woods.  Just my .02

If you need a drone to hunt I would say you're at a disadvantage and I'd rather be the average Joe enjoying the tranquility of the woods.  Just my .02

Just another tool to make it easier to take the biggest brute in the woods for some.  A few like to talk like its all about the experience but even they dream about heavy, high scoring antlers every time they step in the woods.  Most times its the ones that cant do what it takes to get the job done that scream the loudest thats its all about this and that.

These were clearly geared toward outfitters to monitor herd movements. THink about it....where's the elk? Now you know.

Right which is why the ones you saw were only $5000. The cost of the technology and manpower necessary to locate and pinpoint and track a specific target animal in any kind of terrain other than the plains would be astronomical. I think that's what the foil hats here are worried about.

I said it twice so I'll say it again...a much much cheaper one ($800 and a gopro) could be an effective herd monitoring/land management tool.

Edited by Meat Manager

These were clearly geared toward outfitters to monitor herd movements. THink about it....where's the elk? Now you know.

Think about this..... A NYS guide service might find it very well worth his couple thousand bucks to be able to advertise guaranteed hunts, maybe even using public lands where he may be the only one there with his own personal "eye in the sky".

Think about this..... A NYS guide service might find it very well worth his couple thousand bucks to be able to advertise guaranteed hunts, maybe even using public lands where he may be the only one there with his own personal "eye in the sky".

HaHa...Ny State Guide Service?   Is there really such a thing for whitetails?  I guess it would be better to ask if people really use them if there is anyone that hooks guide to their name. Ny state guide..  Thats a good one. We will hook you up on a nice yearling or your next hunt is free! 

I could see Turkeys or Geese.

There are NY guides out there. Some of them do very well.

I know Alaska recently outlawed drone use for hunting, Id like to see all states do the same. For a scouting tool, not to be used during the season, sure, I could see people using them for that. I just dont think use for active hunting would be ethical, but thats just my opinion.

Right which is why the ones you saw were only $5000. The cost of the technology and manpower necessary to locate and pinpoint and track a specific target animal in any kind of terrain other than the plains would be astronomical. I think that's what the foil hats here are worried about. I said it twice so I'll say it again...a much much cheaper one ($800 and a gopro) could be an effective herd monitoring/land management tool. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, perhaps a tin foil hat might help protect your head while it is stuck in the sand. While you are trying to play the role of the lone voice of sanity, the animal rights people have already shown that such activity is not only feasible, but is in use.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/10/01/animal-activists-using-drones-for-aerial-surveillance/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2013/apr/16/animal-rights-activists-will-use-airborne-drones-s/

http://thetandd.com/animal-rights-group-says-drone-shot-down/article_017a720a-56ce-11e1-afc4-001871e3ce6c.html

And also, there are some other states that are taking the threat quite seriously and acting preemptively:

http://clevelandaerialmedia.com/blogs/news/13144969-eyes-in-the-air-states-move-to-ban-drone-assisted-hunting

HaHa...Ny State Guide Service?   Is there really such a thing for whitetails?  I guess it would be better to ask if people really use them if there is anyone that hooks guide to their name. Ny state guide..  Thats a good one. We will hook you up on a nice yearling or your next hunt is free! 

I could see Turkeys or Geese.

http://www.stuyvesantoutdoor.com/

http://www.lsguideservice.com/

http://www.biggamehuntingny.com/

http://www.huntingtripsrus.com/whitetail-deer-hunting/new-york.html

http://www.oakridgelodge.net/

http://www.abenakioutfitters.com/dcamp.html

http://www.huntguide.com/grandisland.html

http://www.endlesshills.com/

Ok, you get the idea. A simple Google search turned up pages and pages of them.

• Like 1