Food Plot for hire?

I had them do a one acre Whitetail Institute Clover Plot and then I added a second small plot in another section which was Alfalfa and clover mix. As for details, they are very weather aware and just very easy to deal with. Their price was actually slightly less than the other person who quoted but like I've said they actually ended up seeming much more knowledgable. We tested soil and they also offer a guarantee because I chose to fertilize. If it does not take, they will re do it. 

I'm sure each job is different so I'll let them price out any job you may have. I'll pm you what my price was. Very affordable. 

how did your plot turn out? any pics?

For the first year, the plot came out well.. the deer hammer it consistently. 

I am toying with another 1 acre plot but it would require a clear cut of woods and unfortunately the tree's in that section are all undersized and of undesirable species which have no harvest value. So it equates to pure labor and big machinery to prep and remove the logs and I'm not sure I want to spend that money. 

But if anyone knows of someone who likes 6" tree's... I've got lots of them free for the taking... 

I am toying with another 1 acre plot but it would require a clear cut of woods and unfortunately the tree's in that section are all undersized and of undesirable species which have no harvest value. So it equates to pure labor and big machinery to prep and remove the logs and I'm not sure I want to spend that money. 

But if anyone knows of someone who likes 6" tree's... I've got lots of them free for the taking... 

Clear out all of the understory except those trees, do some smart gly spraying, and then plant some NWSG. Make it bedding.Have to assume there's plenty of light with just 6 inch trees. If not, some selective clearing with a chain saw.

any pictures? they planted clover for you correct?

No pics. Yes it was Whitetail Institute clover. That blend is not known for the first year but they ate it good. It should get more full next year and choke out more grass. They are still pawing snow to get at it. 

Tosch did my plot very happy with results  first 3 pics before and then a sea of green. 1 1/4 acre in clover and 3/4 acre tall tine tubers . He put 13 tons on the plot of lime ag and i think a couple hundred of fertlizer. Came out real good nice guy easy to talk to a little pricy but i pulled 3 deer off it.the first fall .DEER IN PLOT EVERY NIGHT TEARING UP TURNIPS EVEN NOW !!

post-1765-0-43730700-1421245381_thumb.jp

post-1765-0-17843100-1421245412_thumb.jp

post-1765-0-67919100-1421245456_thumb.jp

post-1765-0-31355900-1421245480_thumb.jp

post-1765-0-71312600-1421245504_thumb.jp

post-1765-0-96589000-1421288881_thumb.jp

post-1765-0-15769500-1421288915_thumb.jp

post-1765-0-47789200-1421288938_thumb.jp

Tosch did my plot very happy with results  first 3 pics before and then a sea of green. 1 1/4 acre in clover and 3/4 acre tall tine tubers . He put 13 tons on the plot of lime ag and i think a couple hundred of fertlizer. Came out real good nice guy easy to talk to a little pricy but i pulled 3 deer off it.the first fall .DEER IN PLOT EVERY NIGHT TEARING UP TURNIPS EVEN NOW !!

Hey is this you Ant? looks like my old 12.. If it is holy crap it looks amazing!! good job, that plot looks so lush

BigGuyNY I posted a reply on here and PM'd you my cell number and I see you've logged in a couple times since then but I still haven't heard from you.  I would like to get to the bottom of why you couldn't reach me and see what we can do to help you out if you're still interested.  Thanks -Mike

what implements do you usually use? Tiller or plow and discs?

Yes Geno it is  !   Big difference  in field , now it is a supermarket for the deer to stay around and feed after bedding down in security cover from the piles of trees you cut and bulldozed together. I am seeing so many more deer than last year it is amazing. Clover and Turnips are a fantastic combo . I have security cameras watching the field and watch deer in field almost every single day and the deer are in great shape heathwise ,at least untill next season lol .....2 days ago 14 deer in field munching on turnips but average about 4 to six deer a sighting....Thanks again this place is 4 hours from me in Brooklyn but it is a slice of heaven once i get there ...

Edited by hunterman7956

Yes Geno it is ! Big difference in field , now it is a supermarket for the deer to stay around and feed after bedding down in security cover from the piles of trees you cut and bulldozed together. I am seeing so many more deer than last year it is amazing. Clover and Turnips are a fantastic combo . I have security cameras watching the field and watch deer in field almost every single day and the deer are in great shape heathwise ,at least untill next season lol .....2 days ago 14 deer in field munching on turnips but average about 4 to six deer a sighting....Thanks again this place is 4 hours from me in Brooklyn but it is a slice of heaven once i get there ...

Oh man I am so pumped you love it and you are doing great things with it! It really is a nice slice. Lots of deer in that area and with all that food it puts you right in it!

That's awesome buddy, very happy for you. I'm working on getting a 60-70 acre farm by me this year. Wish you the best with the property Ant!

Depends on if the ground has been worked before, growth of vegetation and access. Stuff like that?

Yes, all that along with size and shape of the plot, rocks, moisture, etc.  Tiller is nice when the soil is right but it's slow going, so if the plot is large it may not be practical.  Usually a case by case basis, at JFB's we used both.  Started the big plot with the tiller but it was so rocky we switched to the disc.  Sometimes plowing just brings up old weed seed or rocks and isn't always necessary.  The time you can let the ground sit after it's first worked plays into it too.  Turning it over and letting the weed seeds germinate then working it again kills off a lot more and lets you use less chemicals...  Lots of things to consider but not always a right or wrong answer either.  When I started doing my own plots I didnt have most of the equipment and did clover with an old spring tooth harrow and metal grating for a drag.  Wasn't the smoothest ground afterwards but the deer and clover didn't know the difference!

I figured there were other variables but didn't get into them. Thanks for the info, I'm thinking about getting a tractor this year with a bottom plow setup and discs. Wonder if I could get away with just discs or maybe a tilller. But like you said it all depends on the ground your working

I figured there were other variables but didn't get into them. Thanks for the info, I'm thinking about getting a tractor this year with a bottom plow setup and discs. Wonder if I could get away with just discs or maybe a tilller. But like you said it all depends on the ground your working

We bought the groundhog maxx this year. It's obviously not an answer for alot of situations, but we had great luck with it. Might want to consider that as I believe you have a decent ATV. People say that it is really limited for smaller plots, but I could easily see doing a 1/2 acre or a 3/4 acre even without much issue if there is not alot of rocks.

We did this plot this year with nothing but a sprayer, hand seeder and the disc. Clover and some turnip/radish. Just shy of 1/3 acre.

post-575-0-90016200-1421346995_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade

Hey phade, yeah saw that implementation before. I sold that 700efi last year. Did it take awhile to get through the sod plate? I assume you cut all the grasses down low, did you spray?

In all honesty, we probably had about 5-6 hours of work in this from start to finish. Sprayed it twice, grasses laid down easily and died, then we came in and worked it with the disc and seeded in the same day.

Came in a few months later and top dressed it with 40# of 10-10-10 (cheap and included some N for the brassica), then sprayed some selective grass killer. A month later and the far half was a carpet of clover, and the closer half had some brassica (we only had a small amount to add) mixed in with the clover. A little drier there on that half of the plot, so it hasn't filled in properly but it'll get there this season I bet.

If you don't have a rock problem and you are wise with your ATV/UTV, this thing does alot of the grunt work. It's not a perfect tool, but it fits the needs of alot of people who know how to use it wisely.

Edited by phade

yeah was thinking about that tool at the time when i had the wheeler... im sure it would have worked fine for most of my needs. i actually rented a big commercial tiller over the summer that worked pretty well, planted maximum and PTT and deer radish which came in pretty nice but the deer nailed the heck out of it big time. used Lime, 0-20-20 and 46-0-0 then through down 10-10-10 month and half in. looking to get ground of my own this year, so we shall see...

Gino I'm pretty tied up with work for the next week or two but I'm happy to get with you some time after that and try to answer any questions to help you make your decision.  Lots of different ways to go about it.  I also rented a tiller before buying one so I could see how it worked on my ground. Good luck!

i can see spots in your plot where vegetation came back through, i had a few spots like that too after they nailed it down.

there is very little weed matter in there. the selective application knocked out 95 percent of it. Didnt go with a broadleaf spray due to the brassica and thats all that came through. No grasses in it at all.

there is very little weed matter in there. the selective application knocked out 95 percent of it. Didnt go with a broadleaf spray due to the brassica and thats all that came through. No grasses in it at all.

oh ok, looked like something other then what was planted on the top part of the plot. like  some sort of undergrowth. 

Gino I'm pretty tied up with work for the next week or two but I'm happy to get with you some time after that and try to answer any questions to help you make your decision.  Lots of different ways to go about it.  I also rented a tiller before buying one so I could see how it worked on my ground. Good luck!

sounds good bud, thanks