Turkey locator

BuckNY85

I gave just gained access to some farmland with two overgrown crop fields, surrounded by hard timber and a small stew running through. I have been scouting for two weeks and not one turkey. I thought this is an ideal area for them. I've read that turkey usually do not venture far and can be found in the same areas year after year. Any advice? Should I give up in locating anything? If I do not see turkey now, does that mean a sure shot that I will not see anything once the season starts?

When you say "overgrown" what does that include? Briars? Goldenrod? Multiflora rose thickets?

Do you have access to the woods as well?

What part of the terrain made you think it would be an ideal spot?

What has your scouting included?  I'm just trying to better help you out by gathering some more data. 

In the fall I saw a nice flock of birds where I hunt. Seen them off and on through winter. Just takes some time to patterns birds. I would get out and listen in am for that beautiful sound. Also maybe put it some game cameras. I usually put out camera in a new area I hunt to see what wildlife comes to visit.

Scout the edge of the open areas see if you find some dusting bowls even if they are old it proves turkeys will be there.. most likely they are not there now as many flocked up for winter and are still in winter flocks...what ever you do don't call... all you will do will be is to educate birds that might be there that you haven't seen

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

I'd try to keep the high impact scouting to a minimum and do just what pygmy suggested. If you feel the urge to call, use a crow call.

You might also check the open area during rain showers, they could be pecking around the field where they feel safer when the woods are noisy

As stated before, I would go out early and just listen. If you can hear a gobble odds are they can travel to your location come may 1st. The turkeys in your area could be in their winter flocks still depending on the temp and habitat they are in. The hens and toms should become very territorial soon so expect to see some more turkeys in spread out areas rather than all clumped in one big field! Drive around the neighboring properties. If you see them there, you can bet they will be within calling range on may 1st! hope this helps!

listen at dawn and dusk, especially when it cools off.  use a crow or owl locator but sparingly if you don't get a response.  from what I've seen they haven't separated too much yet but are close.  by may you still could have birds move back into the area that could be a few ridges or bottoms from where you are now.