Help choosing a duck/goose hunting dog

Hookhunter20

One other thing to consider is as waterfowl and dove hunters we take care to camo everything, including camo vests for our dogs. However, those vests do not cover the entire dog.

Unfortunately, golden retrievers, black labs, and yellow labs really stand out in the field. Chocolate labs blend in well, but many people do not like chocolates because they are concerned about the recessive genes that are responsible for that color in the lab breed.

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers on the other hand are supposedly bred to be camouflaged. The three coat colors they usually have are called "dead grass'; "sedge" and brown.

Off course thousands of waterfowl and tens of millions of doves are shot every year over labs and goldens. All the camo in the world wont help if the dog moves around, breaks, and/or whines in the blind... But on the other hand, camo may help...  Most hunters are not hunting like the television shows and not like is done in the hunt tests and field trials behind a curtain like blind. The dog must be hidden, but at the same time be able to see the sky. This presents a difficult challenge and shiny dogs add to the difficulty.

Isnt really much of a decision really go with the labs, Id start by looking ar bloodlines and

seeing if there are any JH,Sh,MH,NMH in the family line, If there isnt it really doesnt mean alot As most labs are natural retrievers, The show winning side isnt much of an interest to me as is the hunting side,Then if you dont have the time or the know how to train a pup and your looking for a great dog with a great personality id send it out to train, There are several places in

New York that i can think of, In my opinon Peaks Performance out of Holland New York is one of the best, Renee and her mother do a grewat job the dogs dont become robots and you will never

regret the decision, Most likely you will never lose a bird either, If you need help they

normaly have a great line on pregnant or females with litters that they can help you with, If you want the number pm and ill give it you, here is a link to check out their site and it says puppies ready mid summer. http://www.peakperformancetraining.info/

My first Lab was a Van Lee's bloodline dog.  She came from one of Tammy's mom's bitches back in 1987.  My dog's name was "Van Lee's Krista Kallin".

She was a yellow lab that we had to put down at 12 yrs old IIRC.  Great memories.............................

I looked at the pics on PPT's web site; almost have my wife convinced. :O

I guess I just take these posts too seriously...

The GR is always described as a sweet dog and the CBR as the opposite. That belief is widely publicized and is likely influencing the OP's girlfriend.

In my opinion, the most significant advantage among the retriever breeds, is the coloration of the CBR. That is just me however; some breeds, such as CBR, which mature later can be a major obstacle for people without much patience and experience training dogs. I am not sure how GR compare, but in my experience Labradors mature faster than chessies. I want to make it clear I am not saying that training a lab is easy and does not take patience - anyone who thinks they are going to bring a dog of ANY breed into their home and does not expect their life to change - should not get a dog!

If allergies or vacuuming dog hair is a concern; I have read that standard poodles, irish water spaniels, portugese water dogs, and curly coat retrievers are hypoallergenic and/or do not shed. I never trained any of these breeds, but I have read that the curly coat is similar to the chessie in behavior.

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

"The GR is always described as a sweet dog and the CBR as the opposite. That belief is widely publicized and is likely influencing the OP's girlfriend."

As mike said this is the exact reason she dosnt like the chessie breed. She also feels they have too much energy i don't think so, I see it as work drive. I am going to work on the two dog idea and see if she goes for it i don't see why she wouldn't.

"The GR is always described as a sweet dog and the CBR as the opposite. That belief is widely publicized and is likely influencing the OP's girlfriend."

As mike said this is the exact reason she dosnt like the chessie breed. She also feels they have too much energy i don't think so, I see it as work drive. I am going to work on the two dog idea and see if she goes for it i don't see why she wouldn't.

However, that is changing recently, and I am not sure if it is worse that the breed is shunned or that it is embraced by non-hunters. If you are not on face book, get on it and follow the numerous Chesapeake Bay Retriever groups, including the rescues. They are dominated by women and non hunters, even anti hunters. More and more people are being attracted to the breed for a pet. These CBR fanciers are as devoted to the breed as any of the other pet wackos. Oh how cute , oh that dog is cold or hot, oh he is dirty, bla, bla bla... Its actually quite sickening... However, it shows people are beginning to see the breed differently - breed popularity often ruins breeds so I am reserved about this though. The CBR is the state dog of Maryland and it has been popular there for many years with pet owners, but this new phenomena is nationwide. I would suggest you get your girlfriend to look at these groups on face book and maybe talk with them some if she can stand them, lol.... But its probably best if you just get two dogs, just get opposite genders...

Good pets are not, some chessies will get as big as 130 or 140 pounds. All dogs, but this breed in particular, require a strong pack leader. No slack for humane - whacko training fantasies , the fantasies that create dangerous and/or obnoxious dogs and thereby unwanted pets. Not saying abuse any dog, but you need the Cesar Milan mentality with chessies from the very start....

My first Lab was a Van Lee's bloodline dog.  She came from one of Tammy's mom's bitches back in 1987.  My dog's name was "Van Lee's Krista Kallin".

She was a yellow lab that we had to put down at 12 yrs old IIRC.  Great memories.............................

I looked at the pics on PPT's web site; almost have my wife convinced. :O

My dog comes from one of PPT's Studs Peaks Tough Gun SR im in the process of having Daisy qualified medically

to breed with PPT'S Stud Captain, He just obtained his SH this past weekend, The quality of animals that

come from them is hard to find elsewhere,