Anybody Plant Corn this Late...

Anybody plant corn this late and have success???  The ground has been real wet and the farmer I use had a tough time turning the soil since the field hasn't been touched in years.  I have what I believe is 90 day rr corn from nwtf and wanted to plant this week.  Am I wasting my time?

As a farmer I have planted corn in mid June three years ago because of wet spring weather. It turned out great, but each year is different, the frost held off and allowed the corn to mature and have good grain content for silage purposes.  If we had an early frost it wouldn't have had the grain content.  Planting crops is always a gamble.  Good Luck  !         :bye:

• Like 1

Your pushing into mid-late September, provided we get the growing degree days. You have the seed, why not plant and take the chance. If you carry the seed over, you can bet on 50% germination if that. Just another way to look at it.  I fought the same battle last year, and it looks like this year repeats. Switching to all radish, which are deer palatable into February.

As a farmer I have planted corn in mid June three years ago because of wet spring weather. It turned out great, but each year is different, the frost held off and allowed the corn to mature and have good grain content for silage purposes.  If we had an early frost it wouldn't have had the grain content.  Planting crops is always a gamble.  Good Luck  !         

Yeah, roll the dice. Looks like snake eyes again this year, so far.

I'm not a plotter, so take this for what it's worth.

On one property I hunt, the owner threw in a late planting corn plot of about 10 acres the last 3 seasons around the beginning of July..

At first I was excited about the draw it would have on deer during the winter months(shed season), but by Novembers frost, the stunted stalks cobs had rotted and mildewed.

The deer seemed to make a noticeable effort to AVOID the area the entire winter until the following springs. When a friend told me about the cost of planting corn, I couldn't imagine how, or why, anyone could or would screw it up so bad 3 years in a row,lol

Here's a pic from last fall that shows how short and immature the plants were heading into October.

Such a waste it turned out to be..

large.jpg

Thanks again guys... it definitely would be just for a plot.  Like I said, the farmer had a tough time turning the soil and a couple of issue with his machine didn't help.  I'll take some pics this weekend and keep you guys posted. 

I have seen farmers planting corn in my area still. I seen fields they just planted last week that are only about a inch or two high.I am seeing more corn planted then soybeans, I am also seeing a huge amount of fields that are not even being planted. They have not even been plowed yet.

Edited by HectorBuckBuster