Gun Repairs

I just purchased a Remington 11-87 12 gauge today that I plan on using for deer hunting, it has everything I was looking for. I shot 9 shots through it today and when I just so happened to take the forearm off when I got home today, I noticed this small crack in the wood. It obviously can't go any further considering that is the length of the wood but should I be worried that it could do more harm or affect the gun?

Also, my father has an Enfield sport 30-06 with Mauser action and all, and he hasn't used it since the 80's because of messed up drill holes for the scope. He said the scope is all messed up when there is one on there, so as a surprise to him I wanted to see if there is a way to fix the drill holes because they are noticeably off line. Anyone know if it's possible?

post-3455-0-70092600-1404077393_thumb.jp

post-3455-0-54155100-1404077602_thumb.jp

I don't know if it's possible and I don't know where you are located but I have all my gun work done at classic gun stocks. They are located on county rt 7 between Fulton and oswego. If you are in that area I highly recommend them. He could probably even make you a new forearm for your 11-87

That's far for me but I appreciate it boo711. ny hunter, you know what's interesting, there was a wood set of stock and forearm that the store I bought it from couldn't sell separately so he threw it in with the gun in the deal. Turns out the forearm is actually too long for this model of 11-87. It's longer than the forearm on the gun now by over an inch which completely throws everything off and then I looked on ebay for a forearm like this and can't find it. The crack doesn't seem to be in a horribly dangerous spot but for as of right now I definitely want to have it glued and see if it holds like that.

Good Lord !! Who did the drill job on the rifle ...Woody Woodpecker ??

Probably a decent gunsmith could mount a base on that reciever , but I'd be sure to ask him if the botched drill/tap job might have weakened it.

You mentioned that it is an Enfield..If it is a US M1917, that is in your favor, because that is a very massive and strong action.

Haha Pygmy it sure was one heck of a terrible drill job and I'm definitely going to look into it. It was my father's first rifle and even though he has plenty other deer rifles to use now, it would bring back good memories for him to go out with his first one. And have a scope on it that isn't cockeyed!

I would order a new forearm from midway, Brownells or right from Remington. The drill job on that rifle is beyond a mess!!!…I would consult a good gun smith, but Im not sure if there is any hope for it. Good luck.

Ok so I have an update because I became impatient and generally annoyed with it so I called Remington and listened to their horrible hold music for half an hour. I bought the Sporting Clays edition of the 11-87 that was converted to a slug gun with a rifled cantilever barrel with a scope on already. It turns out that the wood I fell in love with was the original stock and forearm of the Sporting Clays which is not meant to fit the size of the rifled barrel. The man at Remington said that it fits too tight which is why the forearm continues to crack. There was a small crack in the forearm on the outside that I told them to repair which is why I became skeptical when it cracked once again in a different spot after only 9 shots. So now I have to order the forearm and stock combo from Remington that will actually fit the size of the rifled barrel and not crack as this one has been doing. But I guess for another $115 to get this problem solved, and many years of hunting to come, it's worth it! I hope

boydsgunstocks.com

I'm sure you can find a nice stock set on there for a decent price.

As far as the drill holes, I would think a good gun smith could ream the holes, slug and plug them, make smooth again, and then drill and tap new holes correctly.