Winter plot suggestions

I have traditionally had good success with both biological and antler king brassicas... I like to plant at least 4 acres as I believe having food in the winter is critical.

That said, would like to get some suggestions on trying something different. I do like trying different things, so open to any suggestions... Also interested to know where to get the seed/crop you recommend... In am in the Rochester area..

Thanks in advance for your help..

Just a little bit... It was so wet early and I was really busy with a new job... Just getting caught up now and trying to focus on later planting winter plots..

Stored the remainder of the corn seed in a seal container and have stored in a cool place. Should be fine for next year.

Edited by t_barb

I just can't get field corn planted, so I have to turn to other forms of carbs.. I like my Daikon Radish. Always get them at Welters Seed & Honey Co.  I'm sold on their use for deer feeding supplement. Plant in August when the weather at it's finest for tillage. Gosh darn it, I just can't say enough good about them, LOL.

The proofs in the pudding!

post-888-0-15763200-1404682607_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-26624800-1404682726_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-75740100-1404682957_thumb.jpg

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Land trac is right hg radish is a great option...heres what I do ...because I like to have variety and weed suppression....HR  and WR are great for weed suppression...but I want late tubulars so PT include fills that bill...see hard freezes take out any HR bulbs the deer did not get...BTW they stink when rotting...PT will remain late into some times March,,,,Trictical is great...it gives a better quality forge with good protien counts..

It,  if planted alone can be planted earlier and produce good fall forage then mowed late to keep growth down...please read link you should get good ideas from it... Also planting dates and depths...

http://covercrops.cals.cornell.edu/wheat.php

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Some really great ideas here!

I plant common wheat and oats and try to get in a least 4 acres. Add a couple hundred pounds of fert. pre acre before planting.  Pretty inexpensive to weight out the benefits. The oats serves as good browse up to a hard freeze. Not uncommon to count 14 to 21 deer in the oats some evenings. The wheat serves right into December until browsed down.  Wheat also grows early in Spring for good food source.  I recover cost buy combining the wheat, baling the straw and selling. Funny, I just realized I have a great thing going  on here, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

All mentioned above are good options. How many acres u have to nsity?plant and what is your density? Corn and soybeans get get wiped out pretty fast. My winter food consists of corn, beans, wr, brassica/radish and ww. If your deer ea rthen brassica, I would plant that again....hands down produces the most tonage per acre. Just make sure you rotate your crops or plant something in the spring in those brassica plots if you can't rotate.

• Like 2