camp addition turn and burn trip

reeltime

last week the forecast called for rain tues. and wed.  so I loaded up and headed to pa early tues. morning.  my goal was to get all the windows and doors installed and get the dormer closed up , if time allowed maybe even get the staircase installed.  was done and back to NY by wed, evening so I could mow hay.

by tues. night dad and I had the windows in and the dormer roof on, we woulda had more done but lost an hour plus on tornado watch, had one about 9 miles from us and another defined hook on the radar about a mile from us.  other than a lot of rain and wind we came through unscathed. 

master bedroom with 2 side slide windows above the bed.  master bath window just to the left of the 2 side slide windows. the large window faces the pasture to the north. the upper window to the far right is the front bedroom facing the pasture, and the large window on the first floor is the 5x6 window facing the pasture.

20140708_151436_zpsvymvfsxy.jpg

from left to right,  second front bedroom facing the south valley,  stairway window for ambiant light , hallway window at the top of the stairs.

20140708_151828_zpsgmjzulrf.jpg

upstairs bedrooms facing the road.

20140708_151723_zpsxamulghm.jpg

living room entrance door

20140709_082938_zpsmzue7int.jpg

dormer just about closed up, basement door.

20140709_082938_zpsmzue7int.jpg

staircase and staircase wall framed and installed.

20140709_145650_zpsdnypdmbb.jpg

• Like 1

next trip I hope to have a couple days so I can get the siding and soffits and fascias done, also have to build the basement stairs.   not sure how this is going to all work out time wise  since I am trying to work around 4 schedules,,,, fishing, carpentry here, hay baling here and the weather  in pa.... the weather there being about the least important at this stage though, I have no problem working in the rain but wind and tornado warnings thats a bit much.

• Like 1

That is looking good...have to say we could use an addition like that at camp too...but taxes are 4 grand now with the little room we have....holy cow something like that we'd go into the RED just paying NYS Alleghany county taxes...Nice job how many acres is your camp on?

Edited by growalot

law,  yup same siding,  for some reason royal crest 9 which is carried at the local lumber yard down there) decided to cease production on that color....  luckily I had purchased 2 extra square when I did the original camp (mom on a tractor is a dangerous combination to siding)  the lumber yard had 15 square still in stock and a few corners, J, and undersill so I bought all they had, but they didn't have inside corners and I cant stand doing back to back J's for inside corners. I went to Erie materials and found a very close match so I got the 3 inside corners from there.  all the windows except the master bath window are new construction pella's with built in J so with what the lumber yard had and what extra I have we should be good.

Grow,  we are on the family farm, we only have 130 acres, the abutting farms are all 250 + acres except for the southwest neighbor is a little over 900 acres.  Its nice that our closest full time neighbor is almost a mile away.  its a nice area with great neighbors, if we are out working the fields the neighbors stop in to help and we do the same for them. 

The only problem with where we are its 9 miles to the closest town ( fire dept.)  and its all lane and a half roads ( if they have recently cut back the brush)  so when you build something you have to accep the fact that if you ever have a fire it will be a total loss because by the time the fire is spotted by someone and by the time the fire dept. gets there they will simply be there to wet down the embers in the basement.  Mom's house  is about 100 yards away so her and dad can keep an eye on it, we only have about a dozen vehicles a day drive by and even fewer on the weekends unless its hunting season.  so itd kinda nice, quiet and peacefull.