Deer Air Skinner

I saw an ad for the Deer Air Skinner and GOOGLED it . Saw the video and it looked pretty neat . You have some different size tubes that are sharpened and get shoved into the hide by the hooves and in the deer's neck . You put air into them witha an air compressor and it separates the hide from the meat . It doesn't work so great . I went on line and checked the video and saw that the deer that they did the video on , wasn't field dressed so the when you hooked up the compressor , the air couldn't escape through a cavity opening . Pretty sneaky !!!

• 3 months later...

I saw them use one on the TV the other night at a meat packing plant.........................I immediately noticed the cow was not gutted, they blow that thing up like a parade float. The one worker warned against over inflatting and blowing up the cow, LMAO.

Mooooooooooooo, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL  Hamburg everywhere.

FDXX75

It does loosen the hide on a gutted deer but not nearly as well as it would on one that hadn't been field dressed . alt=my sidehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/2cents.gif[/img]

I think I will just stick to the tried and true method that has worked for centuries..........................Shoot'm, gut'm, drag'm, hang'm ,skin'm, cut'm.          EAT'M!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

FDXX75

I just do it the old fasion way. Im only 15 and only skinned 2 deer for my grandfather. When it comes to cutting them up i just take them to the butchers i dont have any of the crap to do it or the knowledge to cut em up. I would like to learn tho

I just do it the old fasion way. Im only 15 and only skinned 2 deer for my grandfather. When it comes to cutting them up i just take them to the butchers i dont have any of the crap to do it or the knowledge to cut em up. I would like to learn tho

R446,

What part of the state you located in?????

FDXX75

I have gotten stiffed a couple times by butchers and yeah I know everyone thinks there should be more meat coming to them . In 2008 , I shot a buck , butchered it and got 52# of meat . During gun season I shot a doe that was bigger than the buck . I took it to a butcher on Haley Road in Walworth . I got 33# (including the weight of the box) . No more butchers for me .

I have the hoist , cutting tools , grinder , etc . No mre paying $68 to get ripped off !

In 32 yrs of hunting, I have never taken a deer to a processor..........................................I want to know exactly where my meat has been and that it is all there and MINE!!!!!

I have it down to 5 1/2 - 6 hrs total start to finish, (skinning, quartering, debone, trim & vacuum seal) per deer doing it by myself, quicker if I have help.

FDXX75

I started cutting up my own because I got sick of getting 40 lbs of meat off of a big doe. I got a heck of alot more than that off of the medium sized doe I shot this year. My set of cheapo knives from Gander Mountain did the job just fine with no sharpening through the whole deer. My small grinder did a good job as well. It did take me a while to get done, but Ill get better with it. It is very satisfying every time I am eating dinner to know that I shot it, gutted it, cut it up and cooked it.

It goes alot faster with two or three guys doing it too, especially the packaging part. I make sure I have my wife to help with that part otherwise it takes forever. By the end of the year my dad, brother and I can get one done in less than an hour, plus packaging time.

It goes alot faster with two or three guys doing it too, especially the packaging part. I make sure I have my wife to help with that part otherwise it takes forever. By the end of the year my dad, brother and I can get one done in less than an hour, plus packaging time.

I have had my son in training (he is 13 now) for a few yrs. now.................yes, he still has all his fingers. LOL

I was taught by doing, how to gut, skin, quarter, debone, process and wrap by my uncles. I have since become very proficient at it, I have honed my technique and methods, updated equipment(elec. grinders, vacuum sealer, etc) beats the ole butcher paper and wrapping.

I have a half doz. eye hooks in the beam in the garage, block and tackles, a folding cutting table, meat tubs and a spare refrig. just to store meat in to chill/age it in the warmer early season (bow/mzldr). If you learn the ins and outs of it and put together the proper equipment over time, it is well worth every penny spent...........................I have about the cost of having 4 deer processed involved in my set up, spread over 30 yrs. (not a bad pay off)

Bottome line..................I know what I got for deer meat.

FDXX75

New York. why?

R446,

What part of the state you located in? ??? ?

FDXX75

New York. why?

R446,

What part of the state you located in? ??? ?

FDXX75

Yes, I gathered you lived in NY. That is why I asked what "PART", meaning  West, South, Vermont border, etc. I live just west of Saratoga, near the Sacandaga Lake(NY)

My reasoning for asking was, if you were anywhere close to me, I would be willing to hook up with you and share the art of processing a deer from start to finish so you would have some knowledge of it and be able to attempt it on your own in the future and save yourself some money and have better quality meat. That's all.

FDXX75

I do it the old way, takes me 3-5 hrs skinning, cutting me & the wife wrap & package it. Just got a new top of the line food saver vac. sealer & looking foreward to useing it for fish this season & game next fall. My brother took his deer to a place it cost him $98.00 for 35# of someone elses meat, that sucks!

I had taken mine to a local meat market in the past . The daughter of one of the owners said that even though your deer is tagged / identified , you don't necessarily get "your deer" returned . I don't want to get venison from some guy's deer that has been riding around in the back of a truck bed for a few days .

I used to take it to a butcher shop in Rochester and felt they were honest plus I talked to a DEC guy there who was checking tags . The shop has been closed for a few years .

The daughter of one of the owners said that even though your deer is tagged / identified , you don't necessarily get "your deer" returned . I don't want to get venison from some guy's deer that has been riding around in the back of a truck bed for a few days .

That sure ain't good enough for me!  I think when I no longer am able to process them myself is when I give up hunting completely.