Using bow to fill muzzle loader tag

jesse.james

Ok Im confused, the bow/ml tags are the same tags, if you get a ML license you dont get any additional tags than you would if you just bought bow only.  You get a either sex and an antlerless tag with bow now if you buy your ML license they just put the words BOW/MZ on those two tags.  If you dont actually use a ML why would you buy it you are gaining nothing but a thinner wallet.

Here how it works if you just buy a bow or just a ML tag you will get a ether sex tag if you buy both a bow and ML tags 1 will be a ether sex tag and the other will be a doe only tag. Now if you are going to use a cross-bow you will get a ether sex  ML tag but if you also get a bow tag 1 will be a doe only tag (when I say doe only the real term is antler-less tag) remember you need the bow hunters course to get a bow tag confused yet. I have no clue what happens if you want a cross-bow and a ML tag I assume you will get 1 ether sex and 1 doe tag but not sure about it. :banghead: 

if you buy a crossbow/muzzloader tag you get 1 either sex tag, thats it... the only way to get an anterless only tag is to buy bow and crossbow/muzzloader tag (the crossbow/muzzelloader tage is the same thing (the legislaters think a crossbow is a muzzleloader.) The reason to buy both if you have both courses/certificates, is to get a anterless tag valid state wide during early and late season. you pay 10.00 for the chance a a doe tag valid for regular season. why wouldnt you pay 18.00 for a guarenteed tag valid early and late season??

I actually buy both to use them during early muzzleloader here in the north.  This will be my last year to do so, but I try to fill an old tag during the last 4 days of September with my bow.  I get a week before regular season to hunt with the muzzlelaoder and a week after regular season.  And to clarify, the state does not think a crossbow is a muzzleloader.  The state saw it as a way to make money and not everyone has an archery certification. If you needed one at this point to hunt with a crossbow, classes would be flooded to get an archery certification, many would not get in and would be very upset.  So they make you buy a tag to use the crossbow.  15 bucks extra for everyone sold, no hassles to get into a class. Stste is getting money they other would not.  Instructors are not overwhelmed and people are trying a crossbow.  Personally I think it is a stupid way to go about it, but it is ny state.  

it was a lot easier when you could just get the super sportsman and it included everything. I don't have a muzzleloader but should I buy it anyway to get an extra tag for bow season??? I'm confused

if you bought the super sportsman then you were buying muzzleloader tag, if you dont want an anterless tag for bow then dont buy it now
  • Like 1