Donate Your Hide to Help Veterans

adkbuck

Please consider donating you hides this season to help Veterans.  The ELKS are collecting hides at various lodges throughout the state to benefit Veterans in VA hospitals.  You can drop off your hide anytime.  They recommend placing the hide in a cardboard box (NOT in a plastic bag) to avoid decomposition. The will flesh out and salt the hide.  If you would like a receipt for tax purposes write you name and address on the box and the ELK Lodge will send you a $35.00  (IRS) receipt that you can use for you tax deduction purposes.   IN CNY take your hides to:  Camillus Elk Lodge 2367, 6117 Newport Rd., Camillus NY 13031 (315-672-3106). 

Other ELK lodges in the State Participate (Lyons. NY) and the I think the Canandaigua VA has a drop off.  Jump in an add drop off site info if you have it!  Thanks!  

• Like 1

Near Rochester:  Newark Elks Lodge 1249 will participate in the nationwide Deer Hide Collection Program to benefit veteran hospitals and living centers.

Hides can be dropped off at Brennessel Farms, 262 Finewood Road, Newark or at the Elks Lodge, 223 S. Main St., Newark. Donations should have the name of the donor and its designation for the Newark Elks collection program attached.

Donors will be issued a charitable certificate for $35 for each hide upon request.

For more information, contact Daniel Brennessel (315) 331-5574 or the Elks Lodge (315) 331-1249.

Read more: http://www.waynepost.com/article/20131115/News/131119716#ixzz3EhVECFem

I called my local Elks Club last year to see if they were accepting deer hides, but they said that they've never heard of the program before! I told them it was in the newspaper that other Elks Clubs in the area were accepting them, but none close by. Maybe the person answering the phones where I called, shouldn't have been! :rolleyes:

adkbuck, on 29 Sept 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Cabin,  I contacted the ELKS national office, veterans affairs office by email and will hopefully get a listing for NYS.

Thanks! You mentioned Lyons, earlier, so I can swing by that one. It's a bit out of my way, but if no one else locally takes them, I'll do it.

Seems like a lot of work to make $5.................IF they get that much.

Obviously ELK's are willing to put the time and effort for this cause..... so why not?   Even helping a little bit is better than letting a hide go to waste so it doesn't help anyone.

• Like 1

Obviously ELK's are willing to put the time and effort for this cause..... so why not?   Even helping a little bit is better than letting a hide go to waste so it doesn't help anyone.

First of all, I can't believe they are fleshing the hides themselves, maybe but I doubt it.

How about the salt, donated I hope?

How about storing them?  That'd be a PIA for them too. 

How about past years, how many have they collected? 

It must work out good if they continue to do it. 

Mine are given to a friend who traps and sells the deer hides along with his trapping spoils.

Edited by Lawdwaz