Coyotes

Gun Jammed

Okay so all year long I have my cam set up and I got thousands of pics of all types of deer and turkey's, well this morning got out the car and heard the coyotes going nuts. I've never heard them on my property before. I pulled my cams and for the last 3 weeks I've had deer right by my stand with the exception of the last 6 days I have nothing, no wildlife at all.

It was weird out there today I barely saw any wildlife, usually there's a million squirrels I saw like two lol. My question is do the coyotes moving into my property possibly have pushed the deer onto different property? I've had all different does and bucks on my property but now all of a sudden it's gone. Or could this be them adjusting away from the "summer pattern"

Thanks!

Okay so all year long I have my cam set up and I got thousands of pics of all types of deer and turkey's, well this morning got out the car and heard the coyotes going nuts. I've never heard them on my property before. I pulled my cams and for the last 3 weeks I've had deer right by my stand with the exception of the last 6 days I have nothing, no wildlife at all.

It was weird out there today I barely saw any wildlife, usually there's a million squirrels I saw like two lol. My question is do the coyotes moving into my property possibly have pushed the deer onto different property? I've had all different does and bucks on my property but now all of a sudden it's gone. Or could this be them adjusting away from the "summer pattern"

Thanks!

They will ruin your land in a New York Minute. Some on here think not and love them and thats fie but i will tell you that my 700 acres were turned upside down from packs of yotes. After 2 years of war with them 365 days a year i believe i have them beat back enough that they dont call the farm home. They still come through but not living here. SSS..

• Like 1

They will ruin your land in a New York Minute. Some on here think not and love them and thats fie but i will tell you that my 700 acres were turned upside down from packs of yotes. After 2 years of war with them 365 days a year i believe i have them beat back enough that they dont call the farm home. They still come through but not living here. SSS..

They opened the season year round now?

I'm in 8R this is the first year hearing then in my property and this is ironically the first year I've seen zero deer opening day, well out here now gonna see what I can do!

You are just in the beginning. If they are let to take root in your direct hunting area you might as well take up duck hunting or something. I let the so called experts in DEC tell me for years what is best for my farms when it came to harvest numbers and harvest times and all that did was ruin hard earned purchases of land for a sport i love on a couple ends of the state.

Those days are long over!   Special permits Steve!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Poachers permits.

You are just in the beginning. If they are let to take root in your direct hunting area you might as well take up duck hunting or something. I let the so called experts in DEC tell me for years what is best for my farms when it came to harvest numbers and harvest times and all that did was ruin hard earned purchases of land for a sport i love on a couple ends of the state.

Those days are long over!   Special permits Steve!

People in high places that can't be bothered by those pesky laws the rest of us follow.

Personally don't want friends or even acquaintances like that. But those kind do tend to flock together.

Yeah and we dont have any of those pesky problems of a screwed up herd with sex ratio way out of whack or the ones with no animals at all. But hey if you want to sit back and let someone else ruin your property, if you own any thats your choice. I believe i will take care of and make the decisions on land that i own.

Steve et. al. -

Four Seasons is a criminal. No different from the guys who jack-light the big bucks. No different from trespassers. However, my concern is less what goes on in his little corner of Jefferson County than that he may actually influence people like Gun Jammed who are looking for legitimate advice.

Coyotes do not ruin anything. If you have good habitat, you will have plenty of game - coyotes or not. Coyotes have been across the state for longer than most of us have been alive. They are not new. Some years I hear them some years I don't. That is not a measure of their presence. And, 3 or 4 coyotes can sound like 20.

What will ruin your property is too many deer. I took a walk around Harriman SP in Orange County. If you want to see what too many deer can do, check out the understory. It which consists of 2 species - mountain laurel and barberry.

I have been struggling with an overpopulation of deer for decades. I have used DMAP and nuisance permits.  I have had to control rabbits to allow berries to get tall enough to bear fruit. Too many squirrels eat my grafted nuts. There is no lack of small or big game. There is no lack of coyotes. Are the coyotes in 4F incompetent?

I take time to control invasive species. If the deer had their way - eating only the native plants and ignoring the invasives  - the brushy areas would be monocultures of bush honeysuckle. The understory of the woods would be just buckthorn and garlic mustard. Four Season's approach is not only short sighted, it is actually harmful to the ecological health of his property. I'm not talking about his attempt to control coyotes. Maybe his illegal hunting does have an impact on his small area. What is harmful is encouraging an overpopulation of deer.

Gun Jammed - Do some reading. Do some research. Work on habitat. Listen to the professionals not the criminals.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Steve et. al. -

Four Seasons is a criminal. No different from the guys who jack-light the big bucks. No different from trespassers. However, my concern is less what goes on in his little corner of Jefferson County than that he may actually influence people like Gun Jammed who are looking for legitimate advice.

Coyotes do not ruin anything. If you have good habitat, you will have plenty of game - coyotes or not. Coyotes have been across the state for longer than most of us have been alive. They are not new. Some years I hear them some years I don't. That is not a measure of their presence. And, 3 or 4 coyotes can sound like 20.

What will ruin your property is too many deer. I took a walk around Harriman SP in Orange County. If you want to see what too many deer can do, check out the understory. It which consists of 2 species - mountain laurel and barberry.

I have been struggling with an overpopulation of deer for decades. I have used DMAP and nuisance permits.  I have had to control rabbits to allow berries to get tall enough to bear fruit. Too many squirrels eat my grafted nuts. There is no lack of small or big game. There is no lack of coyotes. Are the coyotes in 4F incompetent?

I take time to control invasive species. If the deer had their way - eating only the native plants and ignoring the invasives  - the brushy areas would be monocultures of bush honeysuckle. The understory of the woods would be just buckthorn and garlic mustard. Four Season's approach is not only short sighted, it is actually harmful to the ecological health of his property. I'm not talking about his attempt to control coyotes. Maybe his illegal hunting does have an impact on his small area. What is harmful is encouraging an overpopulation of deer.

Gun Jammed - Do some reading. Do some research. Work on habitat. Listen to the professionals not the criminals.

Well lets see here, You tell me. Here we are opening night of Muzzle season and a guest and his first time taking a whitetail young son are standing over a big doe in tall grass checking out this young mans first kill, in pitch dark with 2 headlights. After all the happy stuff with the boy happens the dad gets his knife out and starts the dirty work, Well not 2 minutes into the job a pack of yotes lights up in the bean field across a beaver dam,very close and getting closer. This kid is already messin his pants at the sound of them but we cool him down and move on with the job but dad is moving a little faster. Well just as we get done 3 of these brazen pieces of crap are standing at 15 -20 yards from us growing and baring teeth. Now i will tell you one did die that night and every one after that night on sight. When a pack digs under an 8ft fence and takes out a neighbors 9 tame goats and fallow deer and eats off but one, thats a problem!  When you have 60 thousand acres of wild uncontrolled acres of military base across the road from your farm with yotes,bear,deer and turkey with very little hunting allowed you will get an over population of animals. When i have guys with dogs kill 20 plus yotes about every weekend around my farm, I have a problem and if you think im going to sit back and let some people that have shown how clueless they can be when it comes to managing wildlife tell me to sit back and just watch my safety,land,livestock and money go to the animals you have another thing coming!  I manage my property the way i see fit. When they start paying the bills maybe we can talk about it, Untill then i will deal with it the way i see fit, Thanks.

Now back to your tree's!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

Well lets see here, You tell me. Here we are opening night of Muzzle season and a guest and his first time taking a whitetail young son are standing over a big doe in tall grass checking out this young mans first kill, in pitch dark with 2 headlights. After all the happy stuff with the boy happens the dad gets his knife out and starts the dirty work, Well not 2 minutes into the job a pack of yotes lights up in the bean field across a beaver dam,very close and getting closer. This kid is already messin his pants at the sound of them but we cool him down and move on with the job but dad is moving a little faster. Well just as we get done 3 of these brazen pieces of crap are standing at 15 -20 yards from us growing and baring teeth. Now i will tell you one did die that night and every one after that night on sight. When a pack digs under an 8ft fence and takes out a neighbors 9 tame goats and fallow deer and eats off but one, thats a problem!  When you have 60 thousand acres of wild uncontrolled acres of military base across the road from your farm with yotes,bear,deer and turkey with very little hunting allowed you will get an over population of animals. When i have guys with dogs kill 20 plus yotes about every weekend around my farm, I have a problem and if you think im going to sit back and let some people that have shown how clueless they can be when it comes to managing wildlife tell me to sit back and just watch my safety,land,livestock and money go to the animals you have another thing coming!  I manage my property the way i see fit. When they start paying the bills maybe we can talk about it, Untill then i will deal with it the way i see fit, Thanks.

Now back to your tree's!

Wow. Incredible story!

Another good thing about coyotes, they eat cats. Not necessarily bobcats, certainly domestic and feral cats. I have a photo sequence of a bobcat on carrion. Two coyotes approach and keep moving along. I don't know if their avoidance was due to the cat or the camera flash. The cat had a high tolerance for the camera.

Yes, back to my trees.

Lets get something straight here..

#1 illegal is illegal I don't care whos doing it

# 2 I am sick of hearing how great these yotes are...and all the many things they do not do...I'm calling BS to this and that's from experience that dates back well over 30 yrs...

Lost stock ...being stalked by a pack mere feet from me ..driving down a winter road to have a deer tongue hanging out charging at us in the other lane to a big yote chasing it...and no not a mutt, shepherd,or husky. having livestock killed and the DEC confirm it to be big yotes and the county pay us for the loss   ect..ect  ...ect.....So please don't go misleading ppl on the damage they do...We have friends from 4-H across 3 counties that have given up both sheep and beef farming due to yote predation.

#3 Have no doubt that some wanting to make sure there is only a fall winter season on them and not ppl trying to wipe them out are...... some of the same ppl make making a tidy some of $$$ trapping hunting and running dogs during that time and getting the best prices on winter pelts.

Lets get something straight here..

#1 illegal is illegal I don't care whos doing it

# 2 I am sick of hearing how great these yotes are...and all the many things they do not do...I'm calling BS to this and that's from experience that dates back well over 30 yrs...

Lost stock ...being stalked by a pack mere feet from me ..driving down a winter road to have a deer tongue hanging out charging at us in the other lane to a big yote chasing it...and no not a mutt, shepherd,or husky. having livestock killed and the DEC confirm it to be big yotes and the county pay us for the loss   ect..ect  ...ect.....So please don't go misleading ppl on the damage they do...We have friends from 4-H across 3 counties that have given up both sheep and beef farming due to yote predation.

#3 Have no doubt that some wanting to make sure there is only a fall winter season on them and not ppl trying to wipe them out are...... some of the same ppl make making a tidy some of $$$ trapping hunting and running dogs during that time and getting the best prices on winter pelts.

They are a predator..and they do prey.

Interesting. I've had sheep for 40 years and only had them attacked by domestic dogs. That is not BS. Not that some people don't have a problem. Some do. Good management practices are important.

God's dogs are here because there was a big vacant niche. They are not good or bad. They just are.