beginner hunter

Tico2891

Hi everyone im Jorge. I live in poughkeepsie and im new on this site. It will be my first time hunting and im thinking about going to the taconic 909 for small game and turkey. If anyone knows about other places or better places let me know i dont know anyone that is into hunting so lf anyone lives near Poughkeepsie and is looking for a hunting partner, let me know. im willing to learn

Welcome aboard.  Can't tell you much about Taconic 909, but you can also hunt over at Stewart State Forest.

It is about a 20 minute ride from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge.

Stewart has deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, and stocked pheasants.  It is a shotgun only area.

Being a multi-use area, you have to be especially mindful of your target and what's behind it during this part of the season - hikers, mountain-bikers, and horse-back riders. Almost stepped in fresh "road-apples" on Sunday.  Saw them loading up the horse trailer at sunset from their ride.

Once it is Deer gun season, it is limited to hunters-only, although there a still a few people who think they are the exception.