Best trees to plant

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a couple of these maybe six years ago. The ones I bought were perhaps six feet tall on close out from wally world. First years growth was unremarkable. Second year they became blighted and stems started cracking open and I feared they might die. Someone (G Man?) posted that the blight does not survive in the soil, only in the plant. I packed the cracks in the stems with mud and duck taped the mud in. It actually worked. I no longer own the property, having abandoned NY for Florida (where I am free to enjoy my 2A rights). But, I sometimes drive past the property and can see that they are now about 10 foot tall. If I were still in NY, I doubt I would buy more.

• Like 3

On 5/28/2023 at 8:10 PM, fasteddie said:

Best trees to plant to attract deer .

I want to plant some trees to chase deer away. lol.  They have killed both of my prior attempts to get a small apple orchard going next to my house. This Spring I planted another dozen (total) apple, peach, plum, and pear trees, and have been doing (knock wood...pun intended) better, but am on full time duty. They did manage to snip off a few branches of one apple tree right after I planted them, but since that time, my efforts seem to be working. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I want to plant some trees to chase deer away. lol.  They have killed both of my prior attempts to get a small apple orchard going next to my house. This Spring I planted another dozen (total) apple, peach, plum, and pear trees, and have been doing (knock wood...pun intended) better, but am on full time duty. They did manage to snip off a few branches of one apple tree right after I planted them, but since that time, my efforts seem to be working. 

I used some 2" x 4" welded wire fencing formed into a 4' diameter circle around the apple, pear and peach trees that I planted to keep the deer way from nipping branches and rubbing antlers on them until they were big enough to survive the onslaught of deer. It worked good.

• Like 2