Glock G48

I am planning on buying a Glock G48 for CCW but wanted input and alternatives, I can go a little higher in price but not as far as a Wilson, Ed Brown or similar custom pistols. I have a Springfield XDe with external hammer but the holster I bought only allows the retention strap use if cocked and locked at this point I might as well have a 1911. Yes I could buy another holster but this has brought up the whole safety decocker issue plus the short barrel of 3.3 inches seemed fine but now I might have to take a test which includes 25 yard range targets. I thought the longer barrel 4.17 inches would help plus the lack of safety decocker should simplify things. I have a Gold Cup and G22 which I could qualify with but then that would be my CCW and they're on the large side for this purpose. I also feel that I should get one carry gun and train with that gun on  more intense and frequent basis so a 1911 or other models are not out of the question but the simplicity of the Glock does appeal to me. I've had the G22 for years and like it but too large for concealed carry especially if I can only carry 10 round mags. Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

• Like 1

I have zero experience with Glocks, I know they have a stellar reputation, but I just do not care for them personally. I am in the 1911 style camp and the cocked and locked operation used correctly is completely safe. My carry  gun is the Sig 938, small with basic 1911 operation without the grip safety, it is accurate, reliable, easily concealed and I shoot it well.

I am a huge fan of the Walther double action style PP and PPK, I once owned a  mint pre war PPK in 32 auto and it was one of those guns that was a perfect fit for me  to shoot well accurately, made some pretty nifty shots on small game with that gun. I hated the 32 auto cartridge and am not very fond of the 380 either, have long wished for that PPK style in a beefed up fame chambered in 9mm.

I have not heard of any requirement to have a test for concealed carry and having to use a certain gun that was used to qualify.

Al

Thanks for the input Al. The requirements are in NJ and the typical spiteful response to the Bruen decision I believe. I did hear that a judge put a hold on these conditions for the time being but started on this path to be prepared. Of course now that I received a pistol purchase document I will use it for something.

Carried a Glock 19 and 26 for work for over 20 years. Can’t beat the simplicity of the Glock. They just shoot. Now that I’m retired I’ve added a Glock 30 in 45 acp, Glock 42 in 380 ( daily carry gun), and a Glock in .22lr I think it’s a Glock 44. 

Not a fan of cocked and locked. IMHO it’s dangerous. Just my opinion. Plus the 1911 is huge and heavy to carry everywhere. 

Find a gun that fits your hand and shoot it often. And of course carry it always. 

I've shot a 48 in a past, and I liked it (not being a Glock guy, though I have owned several).  But since I didn't have any real use for one I didn't think about it again.  The 48 is a G19 sized gun, general size wise, so it's not "small".  Being stuck with 10 round mags I'd take the 48 over the 19 I think. (and I've owned a couple 19's)

The shorter barrel won't be an issue at 25 yards, at least not because of the barrel. lol  I have an XDs .45ACP and recently pickup up a Hellcat in 9mm, and to be honest I shoot them more at the 100 yards steel than any other distance. Stretching the legs on the little gun is fun, not difficult really and a trust test of gun, ammo and shooter accuracy. And if I can hit the 3/4 size IPSC targets at 100 yards I can hit them at 15. ;)

And whatever you buy, buy the right holster for it.