Alaska Officials kill nearly 100 Brown Bears

fasteddie

8 hours ago, DDT said:

Not enough hunters and hunting opportunities for the hunters there are.  What a waste. 

At the bottom of the page is a story about Louisiana fishing that is good too!

Exactly. Just as our state people think that having a season on Vermin like the coyote is smart idea. States that have no seasons have a hard time putting a dent in them. Fawns and young turkeys take a beating in this state. 

• Like 4

I recall that there was a study done in Pennsylvania, I think by the PGC, that said that black bears there take as many fawns as coyotes.  I don't think we have anywhere near the bear numbers that Pennsylvania does but they are clearly expanding their range.  I often hear and read that killing coyotes on the farm will have no impact on coyote numbers and could even somehow increase their numbers.  My reply is that all I can say for sure is THAT coyote I shot won't be eating any more fawns or turkeys.  Also, I can say that it is possible to change coyote behavior.  Decades ago "the boss" (my GF) told me not to shoot the coyotes as they were beautiful.  I agree they are and have their place.  But then a coyote took her favorite cat.  After that the rules changed.  Coyotes no longer come close to the house during daytime and don't walk out in the open like they used to.  There is still a lot of coyotes, they are just more cautious.

• Like 2