Using deer decoys

DarrenB

I have a nice buck hanging up in the edge of some timber and not presenting a shot opportunity. Wondering if anyone has had any luck with using decoys as an effective means of drawing a buck from cover and if so what kind of strategy or setup worked for you?

I would watch. What direction does he head when he walks/runs off? What time of day is the buck being seen? I would use this information. Then I would set up a spot closer if possible. It's a risk, but with a situation like this, It may be worth the end result.

One of the things you could do is place a decoy. The new ones today can move their head or tails. Be careful of placement for safety reasons, private property is best away from a road. Keep sent off the decoy and think of wind direction for set up. Sit back relax and enjoy the varying reactions. Deer calls and scents could also entice the deer. Most of all control your scent and stay down wind.

I only ever had a buck come to a decoy once . I was told to have the doe decoy facing away as a buck would approach the doe from the back . Apparently the buck didn't read the same report and approached from the front facing me . One of my sister in law's horses ran up to the fence , whinnied and the buck ran off . I couldn't get him to come back .