Squirrel Season Just Around The Corner.

In a few more days Squirrel season will be opening, probably my favorite kind of small game hunting, outlook does seem to be better this year as I have been seeing quite a few Squirrels.

Been getting the barrels hot on my Squirrel guns zeroing them in, can't wait.

Al

• Like 5

I'm such a sap......So a few years ago while not living up here full time red squirrels got into my place. I closed in the hole they chewed and vowed to kill any that come close to the house. Last few weeks I hear chewing out on my front deck I see nothing. Then a week later more chewing and its a red squirrel facing me off. It actually came towards me. Well the next few days I found my self in a position to stop the pests and got two of them. I'm coming up my steps and hear baby squirrel noises. I think they are under the house. I sit for a while and hear it again and it coming from under a big rock under the porch. I pull it up and there lays a baby red. Eyes not opened yet but calling for its parents. It was odd that it was only one but whatever. I pick it up and put it in a towel. It seemed very healthy. Gave it sugar water and thought what to do. I felt like shit knowing it wouldnt survive. I tracked down an animal rehab place right by me and they sent someone over in 15 minutes. $25 donation and the critter was gone. I have no idea what the moral of the story is? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I'm such a sap......So a few years ago while not living up here full time red squirrels got into my place. I closed in the hole they chewed and vowed to kill any that come close to the house. Last few weeks I hear chewing out on my front deck I see nothing. Then a week later more chewing and its a red squirrel facing me off. It actually came towards me. Well the next few days I found my self in a position to stop the pests and got two of them. I'm coming up my steps and hear baby squirrel noises. I think they are under the house. I sit for a while and hear it again and it coming from under a big rock under the porch. I pull it up and there lays a baby red. Eyes not opened yet but calling for its parents. It was odd that it was only one but whatever. I pick it up and put it in a towel. It seemed very healthy. Gave it sugar water and thought what to do. I felt like shit knowing it wouldnt survive. I tracked down an animal rehab place right by me and they sent someone over in 15 minutes. $25 donation and the critter was gone. I have no idea what the moral of the story is? 

After rehab , they will probably release it in your neighborhood . 

• Haha 1

What makes Squirrel hunting so great is that it can provide all the opportunity required to hone essential hunting skills. Still hunting, concealment, spot and stalk, stand hunting, calling, using dogs and precision marksmanship, it is all there. Get good at the skills above and you will be good at hunting just about anything. Add the long season and liberal bag limits and man it does not get any better in my opinion.

Al

• Like 2