Tagging Deer

Dom

I won't contradict Sogaard's answer, but the question does seem interesting.

If you "assist" in any way with the hunt, you are considered "hunting." That is why you both need a hunting license.

So, two hunters go out to hunt deer. Both "assist" each other in the hunt. Both have a license and a valid tag. Maybe one is driving the deer.

Does it matter which one pulled the trigger? According to the rules, they both were "hunting" - and hunting the same deer which is being tagged. Seems that either hunter's tag should be legitimate in that situation.

Again, I am not contradicting the answer given. Just wondering about the application of the term "hunting" in the context of tags and licenses.

Edited by jrm
  • Like 2

In my opinion we were hunting together so what is the differnce if I use my tags or his we are both legal hunters and have same tag's other than our names

You didn't ask for opinions, you asked for the law.  The shooter is supposed to use his own tags, or DMP tags that have been previously signed over to him.  That is the law.

But as someone mentioned, if you're in the middle of the woods and no one is around...

This to me is a an moral question, the letter of the says that if you shoot the animal then you must put your tag on it. But lets play devil's advocate here, lets say I shoot the animal and it wanders off and then my buddy also shoots the same animal and then the animal drops dead. Upon inspection both shots are lethal who lays claim to the animal, first blood??? or when it is dead. Or lets make it muddier for people lets say the original shot is lethal but will take time to die, and then some one across the property line then shoots and kills, two wounds, who claim is it?  Some will say the original others will say the second. It is grey area.

Now have I heard of people who hunt together as a group, if one member shoots a deer that they have no legal tag for but some in their party does and then that person tags it, legal probably not. But when you are in the middle of no where, or on private land and the chance of getting caught are slim to nil, it can and will happen. To me personally as long as all parties involved are "hunting" then it should be their choice, but if the party tagging the animal is not present then that's a different story.

mr magoo

:stop::secret:

What the law is and what folks do, is sometimes different. For me, it's not worth it. Even on private land. The private land I hunt in the NZ is owned by an X-State Trooper, and his middle son is a current State Trooper.

I am allowed my two deer, and I am good with that.

No and it's not legal to use your non hunting wifes tag either!...Not to you..... just a real burner to me...happens here all the freaking time!!!..Guys taking their "practice" shots and taking small buck on wifes tags...to build confidence on the "target" buck they want to tag..