He’s still alive

luberhill

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Watching their behavior during Rifle over the years-and how, after opening weekend they, quite literally, become Phantoms- doesn't surprise me in the least.

That is absolutely true, and it doesn't take much pressure to put them deep into that "phantom" survival mode. And when that happens, you have to literally boot them in the butt to get them up and moving in daylight hours.....rut or no rut. They simply become nocturnal. Today with the pressure being so light and the hunters all staying stationery in their stands while they are hunting, it gets harder and harder to see deer that have been put in deep cover with nocturnal instincts. Where deer intelligence leaves off, natural inborn instinct takes over.

• Like 1

Wow that is amazing. Keep on with the trail camera picts. But could that wound ever heal? Looks just too wide I don't know. That 10 pt I shot had lost the back hoof. Just bone packed with dirt. He was out with a doe at 4:00. Survival and reproductive instincts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First-light said:

Wow that is amazing. Keep on with the trail camera picts. But could that wound ever heal? Looks just too wide I don't know. That 10 pt I shot had lost the back hoof. Just bone packed with dirt. He was out with a doe at 4:00. Survival and reproductive instincts. 

I guess IF it doesn’t get infected he could survive …

I figured he was either dead from the injury or someone shot him

But he’s still here 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doc said:

That is absolutely true, and it doesn't take much pressure to put them deep into that "phantom" survival mode. And when that happens, you have to literally boot them in the butt to get them up and moving in daylight hours.....rut or no rut. They simply become nocturnal. Today with the pressure being so light and the hunters all staying stationery in their stands while they are hunting, it gets harder and harder to see deer that have been put in deep cover with nocturnal instincts. Where deer intelligence leaves off, natural inborn instinct takes over.

Deer are nocturnal by nature anyways.  They can be caught off guard, even at this late date. One has to be there to do that, however.

On 12/11/2023 at 8:46 AM, Northcountryman said:

You guys remember that video of the buck with its whole upper back and shoulder laid wide open? Somebody posted it on here a year or 2 ago and I heard it on internet recently, too.  As he walked, you could see minute detail of the muscles and bones in his upper shoulder moving; wonder how long he lasted....

Yea that was proven to be fake 

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I was thinking about this deer in stand yesterday. Lets just say he makes it through gun season. Isn't that exposed muscle going to be frost bite when it gets super cold? I would think that would kill him. 

Dunno ,,, I was hoping I’d see him when I had a gun with me but nope ..

• Like 1