Winter Shooting Sheds...Anybody got any?

I would love to see what some of you people have come up with for winter shooting shacks, if anyone has built any. Next summer I will be putting one together and I could use some ideas on what you guys have come up with. Any pictures or descriptions of designs?

I did mine the easy way, I purchased an 8X10 shed from a local builder and set it up in front of my backyard range. It is now a little different than what is pictured as I have a space saving wall hinge mounted folding bench under the window that is lifted into place when I am shooting. I have one of those little buddy heaters hooked up to a 20lb tank to keep things warm when it is cold. I do quite a bit of handloading in the winter and it sure makes it nice to go out and shoot and test when the weather is not the best and helps pass the long winter blues.

Al

2024-01-17_083556.png

• Like 2

Wow! That is the ultimate shooting shack. I am thinking of something scaled back a little. I do my reloading in the shop in the basement. I am thinking of something a bit smaller that can accommodate maybe two shooters and maybe a small space heater of some sort. However, the idea of using a shed "kit" is an interesting thought. It used to be that Lowes sold sheds as a pile of selected lumber. I don't know if they still do that. The place that I have to put it is not accessible for a pre-built shed. It is on a steep side-hill and full of trees. I think it will be a fun project.

I checked out Google, and they had a jillion pictures, but they all are open air summer designs with open sides. Basically just a roof. And most are huge commercial range kinds of things.

I am thinking more of something about 6' x 6' with a bench inside and just a front window to shoot out of. I would like to put some kind of space heater in there so ventilation is a consideration. Perhaps removable sides for summer shooting.

I am starting to work on the design. I thought of buying some kind of storage shed and then modify as needed, but the prices on those are a bit more than I want to put into it. Plus, the idea of removable sides is kind of a must. I don't want to shoot when the sweat is dripping off my nose in the summer. Another major concern is the noise level inside an enclosed small shelter. Of course I would have ear protection, but I'm not sure what that would sound like with some of my deer rifles even with the ear protection on. I will probably design it with the tip of the barrel outside the shelter. That may help.

So anyway, I am in the very beginning stages of planning this thing out. I have the rest of the winter to figure it all out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My shooting shack also gets a bit of double duty for storage of my stuff, for just shooting it does not have to be that big. I was on one of those Amish shed lots looking over some of their sheds, they had several small Outhouse buildings that were about 4X5, could be moved without a lot of trouble by a couple of guys and easily could be used and converted to a shooting shack. With the shitter seat already in place all that is needed is some kind of opening on the door to shoot out of and devise some kind of shooting rest-platform.

Could also be made to be dual purpose, put it over a deep hole, add a roll of toilet paper and you will have an actual usable outhouse, a great place for shootin the shit! LOL:rofl::rofl:

As long as the muzzle of the firearm is just outside your window-opening the muzzle blast and noise will not be bad.

Al

Like @airedale said above. As long as the muzzle is outside the window you won't notice it being any louder epically with hearing protection. I have shot a few deer out of elevated blinds (think of a shed in the air) and I have never noticed a difference. 

One of the prefab hunting blinds could be easily converted into a shooting shack, they are pretty light weight and can be assembled on site, there are several models in the 5 to 7 hundred dollar range, the one below goes for $550 sold by Tractor Supply.

Also a photo of one of those Amish outhouses.

Al

2024-01-20_081250.png

2024-01-20_082120.png

Edited by airedale

You know, that plastic thing could work. I'll have to check that out. I don't think I could stick-build that for that price. A few modifications here and there, and I think it would work if the dimensions are right (and I'll bet they are). Thanks for the tip. looks pretty promising.

I have a mud room and deck on the back of my place.  I have a 100 yard range set up with targets I shoot at off of my deck.  I set up all my shooting supplies in the mud room and have a seat on the deck by the corner railing.  I step outside, take a seat, set the rifle on the railing, load and shoot at the preset white styrofoam plates at 100 yards, (they last in wet weather and are easy to see holes in), check my group with binocs and go back inside to warm up, have coffee and clean and adjust the rifle.

I do have to clean the snow off the deck sometimes, but the deck is only 12x12 so it's not a lot of work.

I don't have any houses close to me and the neighbors I do have do not mind hearing me shoot on occasion.  I'm most often just checking zero and not firing a lot of rounds.

• Like 1

This picture is of my current shooting range. There's a shooting bench under the blue tarp. You can picture what it is like when the temperature gets cold and the snow is flying, and the wind is adding to the wind-chill. I need to either come up with an enclosure (preferably with some heat) that keeps the snow off me and my stuff or give up shooting for the whole winter. But I like to shoot year around.

I think $550 plus a bit for modifications using the Tractor Supply blind is a reasonable price for extending my shooting through the winter months. I could shoot out of the kitchen window, but that might cause some problems with wife.....lol.

butt06.JPG

• Like 1