Why do you hunt?

Doc

16 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Care to say how many you saw in Ny thru all those years of those sizes?  Even say the smaller you saw there of 149inches?

I don't think I have seen on the hoof more than a few bucks 150+ in my entire years of hunting deer in NY State. I just asked my hunting buddy who has hunted near big NY State land most of his life and he said only one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

I don't think I have seen on the hoof more than a few bucks 150+ in my entire years of hunting deer in NY State. I just asked my hunting buddy who has hunted near big NY State land most of his life and he said only one. 

True that.  I try to make my life out of chasing and raising big bucks and have 1000 acres of great managed land in the North and a couple hundred acres that sits next to the great Letchworth State Park and in my 50 plus years I have never harvested one over 150 and have seen maybe 5 that would beat that mark. Not an easy go of it when one looks for 150 plus in this state. Although there are a few shot each year across the state they are far and few between.  

On 2/2/2024 at 10:57 AM, Four Seasons said:

So you talk smack about they way I hunt and my choices of hunting only certain bucks one on one and then you write your last sentence….I don’t compete against anyone but the critters I take.  Which is just what I do. Perfect!!

I don't "talk smack" about the way anyone hunts. As I have said many times, hunting is an individual activity motivated by whatever each of us feels it all means to ourselves. There is no rule that I am aware of that says that everyone must get the same satisfactions and fulfillment from hunting.

My comments reflect my own views on my own hunting and my own personal satisfactions, which was what I wanted to hear from other members when I began this topic. Something besides proclamations that that if you don't do it my way you don't even know what hunting means.  I never saw controversy in the simple question that I asked in this topic. I have no idea why the topic took this turn. 

I'm sorry if you mistakenly took any of my comments as a challenge to your personal motives and satisfactions in your hunting. That was not intended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

That's a silly question... like you have time for deductions on the hoof. LOL!

Exactly. My point proven from the list on page two, that their are a fair number of deer harvested in New York State 200+ inches.

That was maybe half, up till 2010. Their are quite a few in the 180s and 190s also

Edited by landtracdeerhunter