Duck hunting without a dog

sodfather

Never needed a dog for puddlers or divers...just unstake the boat and retrieve them, no problem. Dogs are just a pain in the butt for me when hunting from a boat and cause more problems than they solve, in my experience, but it's mostly open water around here.

I hunted a few years with out a dog and a few times I could not retrieve the duck as the water was too deep now with my dog OZ i get 99% of my ducks back I don't mine the shaking to get the water off and he is a pleaser to have with me when i am out their alone.

Papabear

post-562-131455384003_thumb.jpg

no, I only shoot over the decoys, no pass shooting..they are dead in front of the boat. I also don't shoot past 30 yards....and Papabear, you hunt from the shore, and have no other way to retrieve birds, so OZ is a must for you. Most boat hunters around here don't use a dog, it's too much hassle.

no, I only shoot over the decoys, no pass shooting..they are dead in front of the boat. I also don't shoot past 30 yards....and Papabear, you hunt from the shore, and have no other way to retrieve birds, so OZ is a must for you. Most boat hunters around here don't use a dog, it's too much hassle.

thats b/c OZ is a better hunter anyways.

I don't duck hunt, but considering it since I have a spot down the block where its allowed..

I ran into a guy a few years ago in sports authority.. Said he hunts ducks and bring a fishing pole with a big floater surf plug for water retrieves..He sticks to close shots, then casts out over his bird to snag them..

I duckhunt alot on the southshore of LI, and finfther is right, a dog is a hassel in a small boat.  I hunt out of a southbay grassboat, almost never lose ducks because I only shoot at them when they are backpeddling into the decoys at 10 to 20 yards.  Heres a picture of one of my boats.

post-1567-131455387447_thumb.jpg

I hunted L.I. for years and was my own dog! In big water I was able to run down cripples with my grass boat that a dog could never had caught. I also recovered birds that landbound skybusters hit but could never retrieve! If you hunt birds long enough, you'll sometime think you missed, but watch the bird and it'll go a quarter mile and just drop dead on the wing from a 'golden BB' hit! A dog could never make a retrieve like that!