broome county deer

martin hunter

we leased a piece of land about 10 miles from whiteney point last year after season. we put food plot in, got some  decent bucks on camera. Was just wondering how the deer hunting is in general and for bigger bucks. We have been bowhunting it, see some deer but nothing real big yet, Is it a big buck area ? any info would be great .All new to us, we are from the cap district area

My Dad owned 33 acres in the town of Barker, just outside Whiskey Pint. He got the land when he was 21 in 1958 and sold it sometime in the late 80's. He personally took 3 bucks off the property while he owned it, but hunting was different back then. He took a 5pt, a decent 8pt, and a mid 130 class 10pt in 1979. There are some pics of the 10pt here:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/13846-post-some-old-photos-of-yourself-and-deer/page-2

Post #38

Like PREDATE said, they don't get big by being stupid. Now my uncle's and grandfather also hunted his land and they took smaller bucks over the years, but the 10pt was the largest. The habitat out that way is good so I am sure there are some nice deer out there. Good luck to you guys and hope my story helped explain a little bit more about what the area produced in the years past.

I hunt in the Chenango Forks area, plenty of nice bucks around if they are allowed to grow. The genetics are there and the food sources are available with all of the ag in Northern Broome. But like everyone said, they don't get that big being stupid. I think you will enjoy hunting the area. Good Luck!!!!