Just shot a deer could use some help

BowWeldingJohn

does the arrow have good blood?

dropped from a high lung shot? cant see that happening unless it nipped the spine maybe but then again not sure how fast it would get up on a shot like that. any chance you may have drilled the shoulder or maybe off shoulder causing the deer to have that stumbling affect and lack of penetration? 

id say if you hit in either of those spots there is a chance of finding that deer, id just give it a little time.

If you only got 5 inches of blood on the arrow, I believe you hit it high in the shoulder and probably missed the lungs.  If you hit the spine, it would have dropped, but I think you were below it.  You may have hit the shoulder and the arrow didn't penetrate into the vitals.

Unless there is a blood trail or obvious tracks to follow, all you can do is look in the direction it was going when you last saw it.  If that doesn't find it, you can walk in ever expanding circles from the last point of sign and hope you can locate it.

If all else fails call for the trackers with the dogs to help you.

Here is a picture of the bone structure. I think you hit the wide bone in the shoulder , scapula maybe is  what its called.

or clipped one of those "fingers" that stick up off the spine....that'll drop them on the spot, but they'll recover quickly and take off.

• Like 1