Cross-cut or Separated Muscle Groups?

raredesign

I have wondered what the majority of hunters do. Personally, I like separating each muscle for consistency, but I have known those who cut through multiple muscle groups as if it was a ham. I guess you get variety in a roast that way though. To clarify, I follow the length of the entire muscle and easily separate the grouping by hand, then slice off from the bone at each end. Something like the shoulder where I have three groups for instance, I then clean all silver-skin off each piece, and tie them together for a roast (or whatever I decide later).

Does anyone have photos to compare the two methods, or was that an anomaly?...or am I doing it wrong?! 

Crosscut doesn't really give you the chance to trim out interior fat or silverskin. I don't have a photo, but if you seam the leg out as you would for beef or veal, you will get a top sirloin, sirloin tip, bottom round, top round, eye round, and the heel & shank (only good for stew or ground meat).

Not a big fan of deer roasts, so the majority of the shoulder & neck gets trimmed well and used for ground meat or sausage,

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

Depends.  The steaks I cut at the beginning are trimmed better than the ones at the end.  If it's cold enough I can spend 2-3 days cutting one up then it will be all separated and nicely trimmed.  If I have to get it all done at once I try to do the best cuts first because when I get towards the end I tend to do less separating and trimming and more cutting.  That's when I end up with some just cut across.