Letchworth State Park Hunt

ADKslither

We've used deer carts,and plenty of man power ,other times we've brought rope systems and set up a 4 to 1 to haul them up.

But my friends from out west laugh at us dragging deer out,they cut them up on the spot and pack out the meat .

Really a couple guys could just put the meat on their backs and walk out .

My friend Jay is Moose hunting in Wash. State this week, he got 1 of 50 tags. He'll pack the meat out by himself , but plans for two days to do just that.

Here a buddy from Montana with his elk shot 1.6 miles from camp,4 tips to pack out the meat ,hide and rack again by himself took a day.

Us flat landers need to tough n up!

post-253-0-54530100-1415322196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

How do you plan on getting it out of "the grand canyon of the east" ??

Myself its a hand cart with a 1000ft cable winch welded to it and powered by a deep cycle battery, Strap the cart to a tree,throw the cable over the edge and up the come. No muss,No fuss.

If your down there in the next 10 days you can see it work....I Hope!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Myself its a hand cart with a 1000ft cable winch welded to it and powered by a deep cycle battery, Strap the cart to a tree,throw the cable over the edge and up the come. No muss,No fuss.

If your down there in the next 10 days you can see it work....I Hope!

Are you serious and will you take a pic that sounds like a sweet lil rig

You don't need to be near the bottom to bag a buck there. I've seen some of the nicer ones right up by the road this time of year. They will be near the corn fields/biggest concentration of does this week.

Yes sir you are right...to a point!  The biggest,oldest bucks still know they need to be on the bottom at daylight. When a mature buck locks down a doe for breeding he will not do that in open hardwoods where you can see 100 yards through the woods. He will force her away and into the thickest places he knows and in this case...The Bottom. Those deer are bred to know its..Top at night for food and bottom by day for safety. Thats put into them from birth. Thats where alot of hunters mess up because they see all the sign at the top near the open fields but thats kinda like hunting over a scrape on a wide open field edge. The chances of seeing that buck in daylight is about nill but drop over the edge 300 yards and that ole boy is happy chasing does back and forth from east to west and back again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen so many "stupid" 2 1/2 + year old bucks as I did this year. Lucky for me I closed the deal on a nice 8-9 point(didn't measure the short extra point)

Seems like they were chasing does everywhere. Personaly, one of the best years I have had at the park for buck sightings in the last 7 years.

I have never seen so many "stupid" 2 1/2 + year old bucks as I did this year. Lucky for me I closed the deal on a nice 8-9 point(didn't measure the short extra point)

Seems like they were chasing does everywhere. Personaly, one of the best years I have had at the park for buck sightings in the last 7 years.

Yes and some like to argue that AR does not work. I myself saw 3 different shooters that i believe were 31/2 plus and all 3 were broken up. The one i was chasing during bow hit the bottom at 7am Saturday morning but the only problem was that sometime from Monday afternoon and Saturday he removed his right side antler at the burr. It will only get better in the years to come.

• Like 1