Shotgun Usage in Westchester County for Small Game

Elmo

Hunters regulations manual specifically states that you can't not carry a rifle larger than a .22 in westchester or nassau county and deer is archery only.

This means I can hunt small game with a shotgun or a .22 in those areas outside of deer season, right?  I want to double check just to be on the safe side.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know there is no firearm season at all.You can not fire a gun in Westchester at all.Only on the range. There is a range in Montrose,It is called Blue Mountain sportsmen center.You can fire a rifle shotgun muzzle loader even has an archery range and a handgun range.If you have a handgun permit.

You can use a shotgun to hunt for turkey in the spring and fall seasons.  Obviously bird shot only.

Can you use a shotgun for small game and furbearers as well? using buck shot, not slugs...

I can't confirm that you can, but according to the Hunting Syllabus there are open seasons in Westchester for certain small game species and thus I'm assuming that a shotgun may be used.  The only thing it says that during deer season only a bow may be used.  No where else does it say that a shotgun can not be used for turkey or small game.

I would suggest that you call the regional office in New Paltz and speak to a Wildlife officer or a WCO.  I called them to confirm that a shotgun may be used for turkey season.  Better safe than sorry!!

• 5 weeks later...

Your best bet is to call and ask. Deer is Bow only (and the season is longer then most parts, so be careful) not sure about shotgun....but I have hunted a special goose season there on a golf course..we just needed to inform the cops we were there

Rifles of any sort are banned in Westchester, at all times, including rimfire. Whestchester is BOW ONLY for deer. Small game can be taken with bow or shotgun. Anything bigger than 6s will probably cause you some trouble. You'd better be 500 ft. from any structure. It'll be tough to find a place to use a shotgun without sprinkling a McMansion. They closed some DEP properties to shotgun because some commuting office workers freaked out when they saw people going into the woods with GUNS ! OH MY!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I still don't understand why we are limited to hunting with a shotgun for deer but can use a rifle for predators??? I always thought that it was a safety thing until I reread the regs regarding predator hunting....I thought I read it wrong, so I read it over and over and had my father read it over and over.....It makes no sense to me that we can use a rifle in these counties but only shotgun for deer. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

I still don't understand why we are limited to hunting with a shotgun for deer but can use a rifle for predators??? I always thought that it was a safety thing until I reread the regs regarding predator hunting....I thought I read it wrong, so I read it over and over and had my father read it over and over.....It makes no sense to me that we can use a rifle in these counties but only shotgun for deer. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Its a joke, IMO. Even up here, we can only use shotgun for deer, but I can go out at night, in the dark and blast a yote, coon or fox with a 30-06 if I want to. I can also hunt deer with a handgun chambered in any caliber. Makes no sense to me.

• 2 years later...

I would like to go Coyote hunting in westchester and read the dec regulations, the way I read it you can hunt for fur bearing critters with a shot gun as long as you are 500' from dwelling.  An when I went to the sports shop they said you cannot hunt with a gun in westchester?

I've been small game hunting in westchester for nearly 40 years (north salem).  mostly orchards and some large horse farms.  been using a shotgun all this time on pheasants and rabbits.  There are two hunt clubs in the area you might want to call.  (1) Putnam fish and game (2) North salem fish and game...north salem fish and game might have closed though.

good luck

• Like 1