Hung up the Bow for 2014

moog5050

Hunted 10 days straight with no legit shot at a shooter.  Great time with friends nonetheless.  Shot another doe last morning so it wasn't a total loss in terms of deer.  Back at work and the 30.30 is ready for Sat.  Maybe Mr. Big will come by in gun.  Congrats to all those that succeeded in bow (based on their personal definition of success) and look forward to more harvest photos.  Keep at it folks.

I didn't kill a deer this bow season but to me it was successful. Had a mature buck at thirty yards that never gave me the angle I needed for a clean shot,and many smaller bucks and does within spitting distance that I chose to let walk. I saw some awesome sunsets and sunrises and smelled the fresh fallen leaves on a cold fall morning. Had my two grandsons,10 and 12,with me more often this year and they are really getting into learning the way of the woods. My best friend and I shared some exciting hunts together this year and we had a couple close encounters with some decent bucks and had more than a few laughs together. Killing a deer is a big part of deer hunting but to me it's not the only measure of success. Looking forward to firearms season and hoping everyone out there has a safe and successful season.

• Like 3

Oh I've switched from camo to orange as well. Between out of town wedding,running my Mom to Drs.and so on I pretty much gave up the last ten days of bow. Great year though ,some doe died,saw 4 different big bucks,some a couple of times,drew back on my biggest buck at 15 yards but he never left cover. Passed up a boat load of young bucks, saw more deer then any bow season.

I'm pretty much giving up OD morning sitting in a ladder by a ground blind I set up for my daughter. She gets what comes by,I get a couple far off shots with the .270 if he's not headed her way.

I also hunted 10 days straight , saw a few deer  ,I would have shot a doe If I had the chance . Problem was the locals( AMISH) had a war since the season opened , Shooting rifle before legal light and after legal light , wonder why I didn;t see many deer. One evening , I almost fell out of my stand,  a shot was so close , on my land 400yds from any property line  . If I catch one of these bastards , I will string them up by their nads. After I up my homeowners insurance. I'm pissed to say the least. DEC says they never have a problem with the Amish. Sorry for the rant , I'm hunting other areas away from the amish , for the gun opener ..,........................