Hunting Accident

ItalianHunter5

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2014/11/15/hunting-accident-deer-stormville/19095637/

Sorry if this was posted already and I didn't see it, I found it especially interesting because I planned on hunting here during the week...Somebody was in the wrong here, maybe the hunter wasn't wearing orange? Who knows...

Edited by ItalianHunter5

Repost...but somebody was in the wrong all right, the shooter for sure. Target acquisition isn't rocket science. The four basic rules of operating any firearm: 1) always know the condition of your weapon (right on safety on) 2) muzzle integrity 3) know your target and whats beyond your target 4) do not point your weapon at anything you don't intend to destroy. We can go on and on with safety but safety is paramount. The guy shooting should have his license permanently revoked.

• Like 7

I always thought that an accident would be something like falling and having your gun discharge or maybe having a round travel through a deer and strike an unseen target beyond................taking deliberate aim at something and shooting it as you intended, somehow doesn't seem like an "accident"..........

• Like 4

Not an accident an incident.  This just the mind set I speak of first blame the guy if he is not wearing orange. Anything not orange is ok to shoot at.  Maybe the deer should have been wearing orange too.  Hell paint the cart orange.

• Like 3

That is the exact mind set what will happen if made mandatory. Just trains hunters  if it is not orange it is ok.  Granted this time the shot was at a deer.  a deer lying in a cart moving on its side.  Well to me that would make me think wait a minute something is not right here.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 5

Learning from what went wrong here, I will bring my orange vest with me when retrieving a deer on public land.

My question is, should I put in on me or the dead deer or get a second one for both of us?

Edited by incognito

Learning from what went wrong here, I will bring my orange vest with me when retrieving a deer on public land.

My question is, should I put in on me or the dead deer or get a second one for both of us?

I would say both, kinda sad but I also like the idea of painting my cart orange. though I think that's overkill you never can be to careful

Look what i'm saying is the fact that orange is extremely important. Saturday morning I had a doe walk in front of me and as it was 30-40 yards in front of me a shot rang off and I watched the deer sprint off. Considering it was not one of us in the group, I got down a couple hours later to see who was there. I encountered a man in a tree stand wearing not a lick of blaze orange and said he saw me get in the stand at 9, when in fact that's when I got down to take a leak and walked back up right after. I was in the stand at 6:15. He had no idea I was there and I had no idea he was there and that's how accidents happen. Why is it so hard to throw on an orange hat?

• Like 2

Just goes to show what kind of absolute morons are out there. I can't think of any way that a dead deer being hauled out on a cart, could possibly look like a live deer walking through the woods.

did this idiot think that the deer was doing the crab walk or something? F-ing moron desperate to shoot a deer.

• Like 1

I was talking to a guy down in Livingston Cty and he said he knew of an incident of a rifle hunter hitting a house. First day of the new rifle law and bam..Damage done!

Yep in area where I grew up ...and the shooter has been arrested and charged with several counts...one being reckless endangerment ...it was a blk powder not centerfire rifle..and where the bullet went through and struck...normally has a young child there coloring and playing...They are still waiting on DEC charges...Oh no region 8...color me surprised .....not!

Edited by growalot

So by people first blaming a hunter getting shot for no orange means that it's hard to wear an orange hat? Re read what I asked.

I explained why it trains people to look for orange and if not it is shootable.  I said it quite clearly and your first statement said that is exactly what you thought about it.  The fact that most people who get shot are not wearing orange is only part of the problem.  The other part is people get trained to look for orange.  if no orange it is ok to pull the gun up.  That is not as safe.  I hunt with a group of about 10 guys give or take on a weekend.   not one of us has ever worn orange and not one of us has ever had a gun pointed at us because we were not.  People need to identify their target not eliminate a person because there is orange.